Under Development: Touchable Holograms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I have seen many videos of this tech and this does not really look like real holograms.
At best, it seems more like some kind of "Johnny Chung Lee 3D with Wiimote" kind of tech (not bad but no holograms)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCrGvShZs

If you pay attention to the video, you'll see that there is always a screen behind the objects. There is never any object floating in the air with nothing around it.

On the other side the touch and feel effect seems cool.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Yes Interactive P... Photo editing... what did you think I was gonna say? Get your mind out of the gutter. Dirty minded people.[/citation]

lmao..you though of it too :D

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]djab[/nom]If you pay attention to the video, you'll see that there is always a screen behind the objects. There is never any object floating in the air with nothing around it.[/citation]

Of course! Holograms are still a long ways off, we still need to bounce light off of _something_ in the air. Our current understanding of physics doesn't allow us to generate holograms at this time.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
One thing I think is sort of annoying. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but do they ever give a pseudo-sci explanation for the Holodeck? I'm a pretty big trekkie (with a slipping memory) and I don't ever recall them doing anything more than explaining it away as what it is, now how it works.

So, I ask, what is to say that it uses projectors, holograms and the like to make tactile-interactive scenarios and projections? One other idea is the concept of manipulating brain waves. One of the things we know ABOUT, but haven't done a lot of work into are the natural brain waves we have (Gamma waves, beta waves, and so on). What's to say that the holodeck hasn't harnessed some currently-undiscovered way to subtly control the electrical impulses in certain areas of our brain (motor cortex, occipital lobe, etc) to make it FEEL like we're in a "holographic" experience, when, in reality, we're merely standing still. The gridded room could serve as a matrix for the computer program to map read your brainwaves from and remap them with texture, similar to a wireframe.

IMO, that'd be WAY cooler tech to be investing in, and I'd LOVE to see something like that at a Siggraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.