Underage Gamers Get 6-Hour Ban in South Korea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorin7486

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]How do they block it? By ip?[/citation]

They probably get the provider to block the game account because this is for MMOs. And actually it's not such a bad idea.. just maybe a little extreme. A better law would be to allow parents to establish the possible gaming hours when they open the account. Something like "No WoW after 9pm".

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]pwnzerage[/nom]Maybe they're building some sort of virtual nuclear weapon...[/citation]
Wrong Korea. You're thinking of the north.

Also, I expect no less of asians.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Glad this isn't in America. As I believe it's the parent's responsibility to control their kids not the goverments.[/citation]

In USA the government controls your parents. :D

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Online game´s are very addictive and dangerous. That is why I have stopped playing those games...not even 1 hours..
Not anymore...I had problems caused by Ragnarok a few years ago...
That's it for me...no more online games..

benzjie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Hopefully the US will ban all the 10 year olds from Modern Warfare 2 now. Ya, I know, wishful thinking.[/citation]
If that happens you will be migrating to your own Ip all day.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Glad this isn't in America. As I believe it's the parent's responsibility to control their kids not the goverments.[/citation]
The government has to do something if parents are faced with problems they don't know how to handle... as a government you can't afford to have a "generation failure" to quote thesupermedium.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
i loved "make love not warcraft" such a funny episode.
i can see why they'd do that, especially before a certain age as they're still developing.

I do occasional long stints of gaming, last time i did was for about 4 hours, running around in Assassin's Creed II, but thats not the longest i've played, my longest session i think was about 14 hours with breaks playing Oblivion(fun game) and i've still yet to complete it, but i like doing as many side quests as i can just to lose myself in the game.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]The government has to do something if parents are faced with problems they don't know how to handle... as a government you can't afford to have a "generation failure" to quote thesupermedium.[/citation]
The government doesn't need to do anything. The parents need to learn that they are in authority and not their kids. All computers require power, and it's very easy to remove that.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]infernus42[/nom]MMORPGs = Kids(and some adults) staying out of trouble. i say give em better chairs and some mountain dew!![/citation]

Absolutely. It's a great idea to support one addiction to prevent them from getting another somewhat worse one...

There are parents. There are teachers. There is a family. There is a government. So how on earth can there be so little control that kids get the chance of becoming addicted in the first place? I game quite a bit, but when I was too young to have some common sense I had parents who had some...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Until we get a definitive list, we can't really say what's missing. Would be amusing if WoW wasn't listed at all.

Incidentally, Lineage (the first one, I expect) isn't on the list yet is still popular.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Government intervention this may be, but I support this measure elsewhere as well. How else would we stop a generation of kids from becoming overgrown couch potatoes? [/citation]
It's called "parenting," something which doesn't seem to be happening very well anywhere. Parents should wake up and do their job or stop having kids.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]It's called "parenting," something which doesn't seem to be happening very well anywhere. Parents should wake up and do their job or stop having kids.[/citation]

They can't, the government likes to step in at the first signs of discipline. At least, anything more strict than a time out (which are worthless).

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Those people are stupid enough to pay a monthly fee to play a online game that never ends. those people will simply pay for a VPN that allows them to get out of the ISP's network before reaching the game server

ISP's cant throttle specific traffic in VPN connections.

If you use a voip service and you have comcast, you will see that the service sucks. if you use a benchmarking tool to simulate voip traffic, you will get very slow speeds. but if you have someone on another ISP like fios to set up a VPN server and allow a comcast user to connect, suddenly voip traffic is going at 15-25mbit/s instead of like 30-40KB/s

VPN's are encrypted so the ISP cant do deep packet inspection to throttle traffic.

Also mmo's are annoying, they force you to play longer and longer each day. much of it is due to peer pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.