Question Uninstalling Edge, making it portable

Nov 9, 2022
I was curious about the subject, and ran across this article.

How to uninstall Microsoft Edge | Tom's Guide

I was initially searching for the possibility of a portable version. In the process, I wondered what would happen if I moved the Edge installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge) to a separate partition. I've successfully done this sort of thing many times in the past with other programs, often with simply extracting the installer, but not with a built in item like Edge.

To my surprise, it actually worked. I now have, for all intents and purposes, a portable version of Edge.

So far, it seems to be operating normally compared to the one on my OS partition, but given the circumstances, I'm seeking feedback about the viability or limits of such an experiment.

I'd also like to know what would be the consequences of permanently uninstalling Edge form my OS.

Nov 9, 2022
I was led here by the Tom's Guide article. I'm here is for advice about the consequences of uninstalling Edge,

As I said, it's an experiment. I need feedback.

I have numerous reasons for preferring portable software, one being to keep my OS partition minimal in the size it occupies, which is 40gb, and hasn't changed in 7 years. I still have 15gb free.

Firefox, Chrome, Brave, etc., all portable, and placed elsewhere.

USAFRet

Illustrious
If Edge still exists in your OS, whatever you're doing with the portable is almost certainly still using resources and files of Edge that continue to exist in the bowels of the OS.

It is an integral part of the (unnamed) Windows OS you're using.