Question (Solved) Google Chrome: Transparent Overlay Distorting Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2019
I’ve been having a problem that’s resulting in the inability to use Google Chrome. There seems to be an ‘Overlay’ of a White or Transparent Checkerboard over some of the content on a Webpage. It only affects certain areas of a Webpage and not all text. It also seems to change slightly if I adjust the Zoom on a page. Occasionally and without pattern, if it’s on a Fillable Field and I click or hover on the field, the transparent checkerboard begins to ‘flash’ on and off. I’ve tried uninstalling my Extensions, updating Chrome, changing the zoom on the page, and restarting my computer. This issue started happening 2 Updates ago.
If anyone can help me out, that’d be great! I can’t even use some websites because it wont let me see the content of the page.

[Update]
I have Cleared Cache/History/Download History, done a Full Virus/Malware Scan with no results, Reset Chrome's Settings, Uninstalled all Extensions, Uninstalled Google Chrome and used CCleaner to wipe residual uninstall junk files, restarted my computer, and installed a Fresh Copy of Google Chrome to no change. I'm unable to do a Windows Update restore because it's been over 10 Days since the last update, which is longer than the 4 or 5 days I've been having the Checkerboard problem.

This problem does not happen if I use Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge, only on Google Chrome.

[Update]
SOLVED!
Turns out it was 'Use hardware acceleration when available' under Advanced Settings, fixed by turning it off.

Chrome:
Version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Extensions:
New X-Kit V 7.8.2 (Only enabled on Tumblr.com)
uBlock Origin V 1.18.4 (Enabled on All Sites)

Windows 10 (Home) Ver. 1809
64-Bit Operating System, x64 Based Processor
AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2.20GHz

tumblr_inline_pntrgadZSA1qkv27p_1280.png

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like either an add-on or a bug is causing your issue. Some sites will add them as well. If you are like most, who don't clear out their history, cache and restart the browser regularly, then you may have added it on without even knowing it and now it is taking over.

Check your add-ons first. Remove any that you yourself didn't intentionally install. Sites are great for adding them if you aren't careful.

Next test to see if it is doing it only on certain sites or all sites. If it is only on certain ones, then those sites may well have a popup overlay, which is something I really don't like and is quite sneaky. There is no way around them on many sites, as they restrict it so that if you shut them out (through an add-on, etc.) that they won't let you view the site.

Some sites also add them for their advertisements. So when you try to click on something, you get popped over to wherever they want to send you. These ones are risky as they can make you download or install something. Usually something you didn't want.

After the above, if it still happens, run some deep antivirus and anti-malware scans.

Once all this is done, if you still get the overlays, then we are back to clearing out your history, cache and restarting your browser. Just be sure you save anything you need first. If you are set to be always logged in to any sites, be sure you know your password and id for said site, etc.

Reactions: JaqueRabbit
Mar 3, 2019
Sounds a lot like either an add-on or a bug is causing your issue. Some sites will add them as well. If you are like most, who don't clear out their history, cache and restart the browser regularly, then you may have added it on without even knowing it and now it is taking over.

Check your add-ons first. Remove any that you yourself didn't intentionally install. Sites are great for adding them if you aren't careful....

Thank you for your comment! I've gone through and managed my extensions/add-ons and removed all but the ones I listed and the problem is still persisting. Even on a vanilla Browser with all extensions uninstalled, I am still getting the checkerboard garbled-text transparency issue on certain fields of a page.

I did a full History/Cache sweep and it helped for a couple minutes, but the transparency issues are slowly returning. Virus and Malware scans (Windows Defender, MalwareBytes) and turned up nothing.

If you can remember when this started, then I would suggest trying a System Restore". Not a full restore, just using a restore point dated prior to this starting and see if that resolves it.

If it doesn't do it, then you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome? Be sure you reboot the computer in between uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Mar 3, 2019
If you can remember when this started, then I would suggest trying a System Restore". Not a full restore, just using a restore point dated prior to this starting and see if that resolves it.

If it doesn't do it, then you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome? Be sure you reboot the computer in between uninstalling and reinstalling it.

I'm unable to do a Windows Restore since the last update was over 10 days ago, which far precedes the issues I've been having specifically with Google Chrome and no other web browser. The problem doesn't persist when I use Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge but it comes back immediately whenever I return to Google Chrome.

I did a full uninstall, a CCleaner for any missed parts during installation, another MalwareBytes scan, and a clean install of Chrome with no extensions and the problem's still here. I'm not sure what else I can do to try to fix this short of doing a full formatting and reset as I don't do routine Back-Ups of my system or Restore Points for Windows due to the frequency with which my laptop freezes :(

Mar 3, 2019
Again I ask, is it doing this for all sites, or just some?

All websites but not all fields on all websites. I don't know what the pattern is for why it only affects certain text, or why it only affects certain text at certain times. It's usually on fields that are clickable like fillable form fields or hyperlink buttons, but not always.

Mar 3, 2019
try picking a different font?
what font are you using?
problem.png

(on about 5 times refreshing)
Standard Font:
Times New Roman

Serif Font:
Times New Roman

Sans-Serif Font:
Arial

Fixed-Width Font:
Consolas

I can't see enough of the page to change the fonts, though.

Mar 3, 2019
It also sometimes doesn't trigger until I mouse over website elements that transform or highlight, and THEN the transparent checkerboard appears to muddle things.

problem.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.