Unlocked iPhone 4S Will Only Work on GSM Carriers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]The Hex is flagged and can never be activated again. Unless you plan on stealing a new and legit Hex, and also programming the phone to that specific Hex, then you're not going to be able to. Then again, if you're willing to go to those lengths....then yeah.[/citation]

I don't need to activate anything. I just wanna get a $200 phone that costs $700 unlocked and use it with a carrier of choice, perhaps in a different country xD

Too bad they only sell unlocked phones here :lol:

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]talco[/nom]@NoSoapRadio Both chipsets are in the phone. Apple is just bowing to att demands. The best deal would be to be able to use it domestically on verizon or sprint or whoever you want, and then with whoever you want while travelling too. Their new restrictions make me hate them. Isn't capitalism wonderful. I think att should be broken up into ten companies.[/citation]
ATT is the T-1000 of the telecom world, they were broken up but over time they just reabsorbed their old companies are are back to where they were pre-breakup.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]the top one is $850. I built a computer with monitor, good keyboard, and laser mouse for less than that. ouch![/citation]
Ooh, yeah. Ouch. Now tell me, is that computer portable?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Is there any legitimate technical issue that prevents the unlocked phones from working on Verizon and Sprint? Or is apple just being a dbag?[/citation]
i call it apple being normal

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]NoSoapRadio[/nom]@soccerdocs: GSM vs. CDMA. Different systems. GSM was designed from the beginning for interoperability. Not so CDMA.Funny, I can set which GSM bands are used on my G1 and G2...hard to believe the 4S lacks that capability.[/citation]

it's a "feature," no? I swear that's what the genius at Genius bar told me !

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
ummm no thanks. if i even got an iphone which i wouldnt, i would just get a carrier subsidized one, then jailbreak and unlock if i traveled abroad.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Is there any legitimate technical issue that prevents the unlocked phones from working on Verizon and Sprint? Or is apple just being a dbag?[/citation]
Actually, I would imagine it has more to do with Verizon and Sprint. Both companies directly control what phones get activated on their service as opposed to att/tmobile where all you need is an unlocked phone and a sim card. You actually register your phone to the provider with verizon and sprint.

G

Yeah, you could build a computer with moniter for less than the price. Would said computer had an SSD drive? Fit in your pocket? What about battery life? Did that $850 include your OS? A cel phone is a different tool with different design parameters. You could also point out how you bought a Nikon D5100 for less than that price and got a better camera, but it would not be a fair comparison. All the high end smart phones are pricey when you get out of contract.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]v3rlon[/nom]Yeah, you could build a computer with moniter for less than the price. Would said computer had an SSD drive? Fit in your pocket? What about battery life? Did that $850 include your OS? A cel phone is a different tool with different design parameters. You could also point out how you bought a Nikon D5100 for less than that price and got a better camera, but it would not be a fair comparison. All the high end smart phones are pricey when you get out of contract.[/citation]

You can get a Samsung Galxy S2 for $549 - unlocked. That phone will smoke iPhone 4S in everything.

A $850 desktop won't include an SSD, but neither would your phone. You can get an open source OS and it would STILL do more than your iPhone.

I agree that this is the proper price for an unlocked phone which the rest of the world pays unless they get a contract, but there're MUCH better phones for that price.

[citation][nom]stprocks[/nom]Does this sound like Corporate Greed?

So to all you little smartasses out there - Grow TF up and GET A JOB or STOP CARRYING State of the Art Phones to "Look" Cool! You are not, and you don't know Sh!t - so stop wasting other people's times with your useless anecdotes and misleading ideals![/citation]

Yes, it does.

+1 for the last paragraph, though I'm not sure I follow; but I like your strong stance :D If you could elaborate...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]the top one is $850. I built a computer with monitor, good keyboard, and laser mouse for less than that. ouch![/citation]

Would it be a touch screen monitor with 326 DPI, last for days on end without being anywhere near a plug socket, allow you to browse the internet when outside the range of a wireless network, and be small enough and practical enough to carry around in your pocket?

Didn't think so.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]You can get a Samsung Galxy S2 for $549 - unlocked. That phone will smoke iPhone 4S in everything. A $850 desktop won't include an SSD, but neither would your phone. You can get an open source OS and it would STILL do more than your iPhone. I agree that this is the proper price for an unlocked phone which the rest of the world pays unless they get a contract, but there're MUCH better phones for that price.Yes, it does.+1 for the last paragraph, though I'm not sure I follow; but I like your strong stance If you could elaborate...[/citation]

How would a more bulky phone with worse-battery-life, lower DPI screen, with a MUCH slower GPU/CPU combination and an inferior camera 'smoke' a far superior iPhone 4S which also has a broader selection of apps? That's like saying I can buy an old school Pentium 3 with 3DFX which will 'smoke' your Intel I7 with AMD Radeon HD 6970.

Answer: you're blinded by Apple hate.

applereseller

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Apple Premium Reseller CANCOM (UK)

Cancom is a Premium Reseller of all Apple Products such as iPhone,IPad,Macbook Pro,Mac mini,iMac...Many..More

Our unique business model in the UK offers our customers the option to purchase on-line,face-to-face,International Shipping Via FedEx/DHL/UPS with our experienced sales staff at any one of our three APR stores, Brighton, Edinburgh or Kensington High Street, plus, We export internationally and Offer Promos to all interested International buyers outside the United Kingdom; We make delivery right to your Destination at affordable Rates including Customs Duties Charge.

See Below for International Buyers Promos Details:

IPAD:
Apple iPad 3G + wifi 64GB cost $500usd
Apple iPad 2 64GB with Wi-Fi + 3G cost $600usd.
We offer buy 3units and get Free (Drop-Shipment) Company Bonus...

iPHONE 4:
APPLE IPHONE 4 32GB GSM MODEL $500USD
APPLE IPHONE 4 16GB GSM MODEL $450USD
We offer buy 3units and get Free (Drop-Shipment) Company Bonus...

We are capable of making delivery right at your doorstep at affordable price.

FOR FURTHER DETAILS CONTACT:
Bill Willis
International Department--Export Manager
E-mail: Cancom_apple.premiumstore@net-shopping.com
Hotline: premiumreseller_cancom@hotmail.com

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How would a more bulky phone with worse-battery-life, lower DPI screen, with a MUCH slower GPU/CPU combination and an inferior camera 'smoke' a far superior iPhone 4S which also has a broader selection of apps? That's like saying I can buy an old school Pentium 3 with 3DFX which will 'smoke' your Intel I7 with AMD Radeon HD 6970.Answer: you're blinded by Apple hate.[/citation]

GTFO troll. SGSII has the fastest CPU/GPU combo, DPI doesn't matter much (get SGS2 HD if you really want this gimmick) as long as it's higher than 250, SGS 2 camera is better and there's just as many apps for Android as there is for iOS.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Usually with CDMA phone you have to call the provider and register the CDMA number on their system/your account for the phone to work(kinda like MAC address). So this means that Verizon and Sprint probably have some kind of "blacklist" for people that fall in the range of CDMA numbers of iphone4s and have no 2 years contracts.
I wonder if that is even legal. Typic telco scamming and pressuring you to buy into a contract.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]GTFO troll. SGSII has the fastest CPU/GPU combo, DPI doesn't matter much (get SGS2 HD if you really want this gimmick) as long as it's higher than 250, SGS 2 camera is better and there's just as many apps for Android as there is for iOS.[/citation]

The 'SGSII' does NOT have the fastest CPU / GPU combo at ALL.

'A benchmark test performed by anandtech shows that Mali-400MP is little behind Nvidia’s Tegra 2 in performance and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 is said to be 3.6 times faster than Nvidia’s Tegra 2. Therefore it fair to say that when comparing PowerVR SGX543MP2 and Mali-400MP, PowerVR SGX543MP2 outperforms Mali-400MP.' http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-powervr-sgx543mp2-and-vs-mali-400mp/

And yes, those are the GPU's found in the Samsung Galaxy (Mali - slow one) and iPhone 4s (the fastest available - SGX543MP2)

There are NOT just as many apps for Android as there are for iOS, iOS has over 100,000 more:
http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/ios-android-apps-1-million.html.

The Camera on the iPhone4s is VASTLY superior too.

In summary, you couldn't be more wrong.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The 'SGSII' does NOT have the fastest CPU / GPU combo at ALL.'A benchmark test performed by anandtech shows that Mali-400MP is little behind Nvidia’s Tegra 2 in performance and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 is said to be 3.6 times faster than Nvidia’s Tegra 2. Therefore it fair to say that when comparing PowerVR SGX543MP2 and Mali-400MP, PowerVR SGX543MP2 outperforms Mali-400MP.' http://www.differencebetween.com/d [...] ali-400mp/And yes, those are the GPU's found in the Samsung Galaxy (Mali - slow one) and iPhone 4s (the fastest available - SGX543MP2)There are NOT just as many apps for Android as there are for iOS, iOS has over 100,000 more:http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/i [...] lion.html.The Camera on the iPhone4s is VASTLY superior too.In summary, you couldn't be more wrong.[/citation]

Same website: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-iphone-4s-and-vs-galaxy-s2-galaxy-s-ii/

· Among the devices Galaxy S2 has more processing power.

Actually, if you read the article, SGS 2 pwn 4S in all aspects save the DPI.

Camera on the iPhone 4S is "vastly superior"? And you know this... how? Same 8MP stuff (when I said SGS 2 camera is better, I had old iPhone 4 in mind with its 5MP, my bad)

Your app comparison link didn't work, so I had to find one: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/14/number-of-apps-in-android-market-rapidly-gaining-on-apples-app-store-but-android-tablets-arent-so-lucky/

Indeed, 100K more. I think 250K is WAY enough :lol: 90% of these "apps" are BS, anyhow. 350K or 250K, you're gonna end up using only 20 or so.

Troll better next time.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The 'SGSII' does NOT have the fastest CPU / GPU combo at ALL.'A benchmark test performed by anandtech shows that Mali-400MP is little behind Nvidia’s Tegra 2 in performance and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 is said to be 3.6 times faster than Nvidia’s Tegra 2. Therefore it fair to say that when comparing PowerVR SGX543MP2 and Mali-400MP, PowerVR SGX543MP2 outperforms Mali-400MP.' http://www.differencebetween.com/d [...] ali-400mp/And yes, those are the GPU's found in the Samsung Galaxy (Mali - slow one) and iPhone 4s (the fastest available - SGX543MP2)There are NOT just as many apps for Android as there are for iOS, iOS has over 100,000 more:http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/i [...] lion.html.The Camera on the iPhone4s is VASTLY superior too.In summary, you couldn't be more wrong.[/citation]

Providing old guesstimates"benchmarks" done by anandatech is funny.

GPU benchmarks

Galaxy S II : http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Samsung+GT-i9100+Galaxy+S2&testgroup=overall

4S: http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Apple+iPhone+4S&testgroup=overall&certified_only=2

The overall differences are marginal at best and once again S 2 is clocked higher on the CPU end from the factory. (~1Ghz vs 1.2 Ghz)
So overall performance is about equal and this is all considering that 4S just got released now while S 2 was released in the beginning of the year.
Get off your fan-boy trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.