Unlok athlon x2 5000+ to phenom fx 5000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

madgoeslim

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I've heard from some, thet Athlon X2 5000+ could be unlock into Phenom X4 FX 5000 with the msi 785gtm-e45, because the socket is Am2. I've got plan to help my friend build his rig with minimal budget, so I kept interesting this trheat in mind. Just wondering, which is best, build Athlon X4 620 with msi 785gm-e65 or athlon x2 5000+ msi 785gtm - e45 when I success unlock it to Phenom X4 fx5000..... Any suggest will apreciate...

ZorchThatCPU

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Wow, that was both rude and completely incorrect. :lol: For starters, look up the word "chipset" before you use it again. A chipset is found on a motherboard, not in a CPU.

Secondly, the 5000+ processor in question is not an Athlon-II, it's an Athlon X2. And it's not the Brisbane that was out years ago. It is, in fact, a neutered Phenom-II 940 that had the L3 cache locked and two cores disabled, plus being downclocked from 3.0GHz to 2.2GHz. Then they locked the multiplier (upward) and it was no longer Black Edition.

In any event, this processor and the unlocking results with it are very real. When unlocked, it shows up in CPU-Z as an "AMD Phenom FX-5000" and the core is shown as Deneb made on a 45nm die. Mine clocked back up to 3GHz on stock VCore and gave me both extra cores plus all 6MB of L3 cache.

But results of unlocking are hit and miss, just like with any other potentially-unlockable AMD chip. When I got this one, they were on sale for $35 shipped. So I bought two, a friend of mine bought two more, and another friend bought one. One of my two unlocked and the other did not. One of my friend's unlocked and the other didn't. And the second friend's did. So out of a sample of five, three were successfully restored to Phenom-II processors.

So next time you're calling a turd a tootsie roll (or whatever that was all about), you might want to do a little research before saying what's impossible and what isn't. :hello:

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
OK here is my clarification
Athlon X 2 (not Athlon II) who knows what they can unlock to sometimes Phenom FX5000s
Athlon II X2 are made with only 2 cores and no level 3 cache so there is nothing to unlock, there may be a 1 in 1000 that does but 99%+ won't.
Athlon II X3 are always made as 4 core sometimes with level 3 cache so can sometimes be unlocked to 4 core athlon IIs and some times Phenom IIs and sometimes not at all.
Phenom II X2 & X3 are always made with 4 cores so can sometimes be unlocked to x4s
An Athlon II is a Phenom II without L3 cache.
There are also some Semperons that have unlocked to Athlons and occasional abnormalities.

Dijit48

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
This thread is old. but I'll add my two cents. i bought a gigabyte M68M-S2P recently, installed a AMD X2-5000 and now the board says it's an AMD phenom FX-5000 with four cores. What do you say to that???

TRENDING THREADS