Unlock and Overclock AMD Phenom II x2 545

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aronk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hi so this is the first time I've built my own computer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to overclock and unlock my CPU.
My Build
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6
AMD Phenom II x2 545 (stock cooler)
G. Skill 4gb (don't know the model) I can check the memory itself since i think it has the label. Tell me if you need it.
Windows 7 64 bit Pro
I've tried going to the BIOS and unlocking the cores but the computer kept crashing before I could get to the windows logo. If you need any more information I'll try to find it. I just want to unlock the cores and overclock the CPU without it overheating or crashing my computer. Sorry if this posts a bit messy. :sweat:

coalesce

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
My suggestion would be to raise the Vcore or CPU voltage slightly until you can get into windows.

Download CPU-Z, HWMonitor and Prime95. They're all small and provide a wealth of information about your CPU, Graphics chip, etc.

Start Prime95 and just click OK. It will start a stress test on your CPU. If you have HWMonitor open at the same time you can see the temperature increase in the CPU. Make sure your temps don't go over ~58C to start with just to be safe. Higher temps may be safe as well but this should ensure no damage will occur. Others may have more accurate numbers to shoot for.

If Prime95 crashes your computer you may need to increase the Vcore or CPU Voltage again by 1 notch. More voltage = more heat which can be potentialy damaging but it's likely your unlocked cores just need a minor increase in juice to run stable which should be within manufacturers limits.

What kind of heatsink do you have for your CPU? Is it the one that came in the box?

Good luck!
Tim

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Using the stock cooler keep a very close look at your temps as extra cores means extra heat. The stock cooler with a x4 is quite bad but you have one designed for 2. If you can't get all 4 cores stable try for 3 if not try a different 3. If you can get extra cores (and even if you can't) I strongly recommend getting a new cooler before overclocking even a cheap one will be a huge improvement.

aznshinobi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Like Simon, I suggest not even using the 4 cores, if you succeed, for a long duration as the heat created from the chip, with the stock cooler of the Phenom II X2's is just not enough to keep it cool. Also, as coalesce said, increment 1 up the vcore 'till its possible to get in. If you can't get in it would suggest that your CPU can't be unlocked as its not a 100% chance.

Brokencage

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,I agree with the above. with a stock cooler unlocking is just to hot. something a lot of people dont mention when they talk about unlocking is how this cpu go's from a 80watt cpu to a 170 watt cpu.so even at stock vcore your still generating a lot more heat than you might think.I run a 550BE unlocked @ the stock 3.1Ghz and i couldn't be happier with it.just make sure you use a proper cooler.BTW i didn't have to change anything but acc option and unleashing to get a fully stable quad.Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS