Unofficial Android 2.2 Ready and Rooted

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I seen a few bench marks on the v2.2 OS, but I think I'll wait for an official release. I'm more comfortable installing OS's on my computer. But it is tempting.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Strange that wifi support is not included. All of the preinstalled software on a brand new Nexus One phone is 100% open source. As for the iPhone 4 OS, Android has been light years ahead in every area for quite some time.

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Android is not dead. It is the fastest growing smartphone OS. The numbers are only getting bigger, and the phones are only getting better.

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Agreed. Android is the opposite of "dead". Looks like someone missed that article on tom's about phone companies trying to restrict Android OS so it (and google) wouldn't take over.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Android is a double edged sword for the telephone carriers. Lots of app developers, lots of consumer interest, an iPhone competitor but the open source end of it means these roots and unlock kits will be very easy to come by.

I am hopeful that the open source edge doesn't cause carriers to cut back on their support for Android in the long run. So far the signs are promising that support will stay.

I'm still waiting for a release of Android for iPhone 3G/3GS.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Android is dead, iOS4 and Iphone 4 is here.[/citation]

Yea, we saw how great it was when it couldn't even load a simple web page using its 3G connection. Nothing but quality from Apple and AT&T.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Strange that wifi support is not included.[/citation]

Sounds like it was a hacked working phone someone made a backup of. Not a full install distribution. Removing the Wifi section prevents giving out his wifi key(s).

A better package will be around the corner but for those who can't wait and want to tinker this is a good option.

Bobbar

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Just installed this today. Working great at 800Mhz. I followed the instructions here, making sure to do a full back-up of my 2.1 image.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
i installed on my rooted droid and it works flawlessly. i also got the OC kernel and benched it and got 3.5x the performance over the vanilla install running at 900mhz. i am kind of a noob when it comes to the whole rooting and nandroid setup but there are plenty of instructions on the web.

G

No Wi-Fi support?

I did a manual install of 2.2 on my un-rooted Nexus One and the Wi-Fi works great. Tethering and Portable Hot Spot work great and have really good bandwidth even with 4 laptops and two Blackberries connected.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Smoochina, your comment should go to the hall of fame for being the dumbest comment I've read on Tom's, or hole of infamy would be a better name for it.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]Wifi support has been fixed (at least on the download that i saw)[/citation]

That is correct, there is an easy kernel upgrade that unlocks OC'ing and fixes the WiFi issues.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I have a Droid Eris running 1.5 and I installed the 2.1 upgrade when they sent it to me. The phone never worked right again. Would just go completely silent and require a restart to fix. Typing text was all screwed up. All kinds of crap. Swapped it out for one with 1.5 and my beloved Eris is back to normal. Best phone Ive ever had so I think Ill stick with 1.5.

bradlei

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Can't toms filter this spamy crap??? It's always from same stupid place so surely anything with that web address could be blocked, or anything with a dumb picture as nobody else puts them in their comments.

On another note, back when I went phone hunting a year ago the only thing competing with iPhone was htc magic\hero which was said to be quite laggy especially which a few gadgets or widgets whatever going. Now stuck on contract for 2 years so would be good to hack android onto iphone but also might sell, payoff contract and get me an android :) as they are the winner now, and I won't be locked in job's cage or instantly hated when I pull out my phone in front of Tom like people.

Status
Not open for further replies.