Unreal Engine 3 Game on iPhone is 'Infinity Blade'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'd like to see this engine run on Windows Phone 7. With minimum specs equal to or higher than the iPhone, an engine like this would run beautifully. Not to mention, I'd be able to appreciate that beauty a bit more on a 4.3" screen on an HD7 vs the comparably puny 3.5" iPhone screen. This coming from someone who just upgraded from and iPhone to the HD7 ;)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
^^ I do not think Ohim was trolling but he does not understand the upcoming market trend. It will be very interesting to see which consumer products company survives in the next 10 years. Apple's Mr. Jobs was very smart in positioning Apple to be a consumer products company because the tech trend is moving away from typical PCs/laptops and moving towards "personal devices" (smart phone, tablets, music players, etc). These devices are not as expensive as PC/laptops so there is room for consumers to purchase future upgrades of the same devices.

Not long ago companies tried to keep consumer products separate (cameras, radios, cell phones, etc) in order to sell more products but now personal devices such as smart phones are becoming all-in-one units that do what several devices did previously. So companies need to position themselves in the personal device market or face possible extinction! Apple has done a great job and many companies are catching up or at least trying to. As well as other companies working out deals to sell their parts to personal devices like Kodak selling camera tech to smart phone companies in order to stay relevant in the market.

yringa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I just played the video on my Apple IIGS, and it played soooooo smoothly!!

Here's a picture of my new computer! http://tinyurl.com/2erufun

Ain't it purdy? And to think, I only payed $2999.99 for it!

I'm pretty sure I beat the game, too. Because, the video stopped when I reached the end. Fun game!!

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I'm genuinely excited about this, both as a gamer and an iPhone user. Say what you want about what brand you like, but I think it's truly staggering what they can do these days, I mean 5 years ago they couldn't get those graphics on an xbox!

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Great idea, amazing that such weak hardware can do so much with the unreal 3 engine.

Would love to see what this actually looks like but no more Adobe flash installed and will not install Adobe anything again.
Any alternative way to see what the images looks like ?

artistlimited

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
The problem with most android phones is that their GPUs are several times weaker than the iPhone's. I know that the EVO was benchmarked against the iPhone 3GS even, and it lost in 3d tests. The problem with porting a game like this to android is that it will only work on certain models, well. The only Android phone I am aware of that has the same PowerVR GPU that the iPhone has is the Galaxy S, but the software might not be as optimized as iOS's to take advantage of that GPU.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]artistlimited[/nom]The problem with most android phones is that their GPUs are several times weaker than the iPhone's. I know that the EVO was benchmarked against the iPhone 3GS even, and it lost in 3d tests. The problem with porting a game like this to android is that it will only work on certain models, well. The only Android phone I am aware of that has the same PowerVR GPU that the iPhone has is the Galaxy S, but the software might not be as optimized as iOS's to take advantage of that GPU.[/citation]

no, the galaxy S has a the next version up of the Power VR chip. but Apple has modified the 535 they use, so it might be approaching the same speed as the 540. as for software, trust me, Apple's sucks! ok, maybe Android's sucks more? I haven't used it, though I do know it doesn't let you use any hardware texture compression.... but I would have no faith Apple's software engineers (seriously, HOW long does it take to fix a day light savings time bug??)

to sum up: the galaxy S is more powerful graphically than the iphone 4. it is a shame that those qualcomm gpus suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.