Solved! Unresponsive TV ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 10, 2021
Hello all ,
I’ve tried almost all the recommendations I found but no joy . I’m stumped .
My XBR43X800e suddenly out of the blue wouldn’t turn on . It was working perfectly without a single issue ever since I bought it . I purchased it along with 2 other TVs at the same time and they’re working flawlessly .
Please bear with me , I checked the socket voltage , I checked the power adapter voltage , I checked the remote batteries and confirmed remote working on another TV , I checked if there’s a hidden power button that may have been pressed by mistake , I shut it off completely and held the power button to drain any leftover power and perform a fresh reset , I checked the condition of every single CAP all look good , and finally I ordered another power board and installed it . Nothing works . No status lights at all . It’s just dead . To note , the TV is well taken care of , never been dropped or damaged or spilled on or anything and it’s running time is very low compared to the other 2 TVs in the house . Is it maybe the larger PCB board that’s busted ? There’s nothing else to replace inside the TV set . I’m using my multimeter but I’m not exactly sure what to check for and where to place the leads .
Please can anyone recommend something that I may have missed ? Is it time to trash it ? Or is it worth sending it in for repair ? Thank you in advance .

Solution
Your welcome.
My last words before teardown.
Go slow. Be very gentle
Keep the diffuser layers in the same order, (don't separate them and you don't have to worry) or your picture will be a mess. (hots spots, etc). Also keeping them together helps protect the THIN glass screen.
Stay grounded,
Be very careful with ribbon cable connections to screen.
Almost no force is needed, and they break easy.
Once apart, leave apart in safe place till parts arrive. Leave uncovered, better to blow off dust with wind -in-a-can than create static pulling fabric across plastic.

Take pics as you go if necessary.

I think you'll do fine... your a intelligent guy.

I'll be working from home as usual tomorrow, if questions pop up, I'll keep this tab...
Oct 10, 2021
Hi boss ,

I wish I fixed it . Sorry I was away from home so I couldn’t do much . I did however lookup some videos about replacing the led strips .

It looks like I need to tear it down . It’s quite complicated but I guess no harm in trying it . Once I open the tv up I’ll get those part numbers asap .

Thanks for your patience !

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
Your welcome.
My last words before teardown.
Go slow. Be very gentle
Keep the diffuser layers in the same order, (don't separate them and you don't have to worry) or your picture will be a mess. (hots spots, etc). Also keeping them together helps protect the THIN glass screen.
Stay grounded,
Be very careful with ribbon cable connections to screen.
Almost no force is needed, and they break easy.
Once apart, leave apart in safe place till parts arrive. Leave uncovered, better to blow off dust with wind -in-a-can than create static pulling fabric across plastic.

Take pics as you go if necessary.

I think you'll do fine... your a intelligent guy.

I'll be working from home as usual tomorrow, if questions pop up, I'll keep this tab open.
See Ya.

Reactions: FREESTYLER_LB
Solution

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
OH NO! :eek:💩💩!!
Well don't beat yourself up too badly about this. It was a valiant effort.
I'm really sorry that the screen cracked.
Can you say how it happened?
I'm bummed for you. If you DID order the parts, send the picture to Shop Jimmy, I'm sure they will understand and refund you,
when they get the package back.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL DISPOSING OF THAT GLASS!!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021
No the parts were not ordered . We were waiting to dismantle the set and get the part number from the led strips inside .

I don’t know why I’m so pissed maybe it’s the fact that it’s a stupid mistake and I’m usually very careful . The wife actually got scared from all the banging and cussing coming from my office after I cracked the glass .

I was removing the glass very slowly and it simply cracked in my palm with barely any pressure . I didn’t know it was so fragile . If I find a set on eBay or something that’s broken or for parts then I’ll get the glass from it . I really want to make it work simply out of sheer stubbornness and I won’t allow a tv to defeat me .

I’ll also start looking for a replacement set and will let you know what I pick . It’ll be a Sony for sure . Thank you so much for sticking with me throughout this entire process . I actually can’t thank you enough .

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
"I really want to make it work simply out of sheer stubbornness and I won’t allow a tv to defeat me ."
You and I have a lot in common my friend! I don't stand for machines beating me either!

FYI, right after repairing the same problem on a 47" TV..... my cat got under my feet, I tripped and fell against
the screen, and busted a fully re-assembled TV. I sold the boards on EBay. Nothing else I could do.
So I have a good approximation of how angry you are. I'm just glad it was not a customer TV!

Reactions: FREESTYLER_LB