Solved! Updating Legacy Audio System

KTSnyder-2

Prominent
Mar 3, 2020
Looking for product recommendation and advice on how to make this work! My 1980’s Sony receiver died and I need to replace it. The criteria for my “new” sound system is:

• Audio only
  • Receiver that has inputs for RCA phono plug (Sony turntable) and CD player (Onkyo)
  • Would like to play same music from the receiver to 3 different locations
  • I am not interested in high-end equipment; Sony quality or Onkyo quality is just fine with me
  • My rooms are small; do not need booming sound
Current speaker setup is 2 pairs of good quality wired bookshelf speakers controlled by a 4-zone stereo speaker selector switch, which has broken wire terminals. Is it possible to mix speaker types - wireless and wired? If necessary, I am willing to buy converter kits for 2 speaker pairs and purchase 1 pair wireless (if possible to mix speaker types). It is important that I be able to select speaker sets (as I currently do with my selector switch). Or if there is a better solution, I am willing to purchase new wireless speakers for all 3 rooms (along with a new receiver)

Thank you for any guidance/advice you can provide me!

Last edited:
Solution
Onkyo TX-8220 stereo receiver with an new impedance matching speaker selector will work for you if you go for 3 pair of wired speakers. It will work with two pairs of wired speakers out of the box so if you want to make the third pair wireless it has a preamp output that you could use with an audio transmitter (Bluetooth or otherwise) for wireless speakers. The preamp out is variable so the volume of the wired speakers will affect the wireless ones. Not an optimal solution but probably workable.
The cheaper Sony STR-DH130 will also work for you but you will need an external phono preamp (or a turntable with one built in) since it doesn't have a phono input. It does have a fixed level output you can use for a wireless speaker transmitter...
Onkyo TX-8220 stereo receiver with an new impedance matching speaker selector will work for you if you go for 3 pair of wired speakers. It will work with two pairs of wired speakers out of the box so if you want to make the third pair wireless it has a preamp output that you could use with an audio transmitter (Bluetooth or otherwise) for wireless speakers. The preamp out is variable so the volume of the wired speakers will affect the wireless ones. Not an optimal solution but probably workable.
The cheaper Sony STR-DH130 will also work for you but you will need an external phono preamp (or a turntable with one built in) since it doesn't have a phono input. It does have a fixed level output you can use for a wireless speaker transmitter which is an advantage over the Onkyo.
A higher quality solution would be the Denon DRA-800H. More real power and it has a zone 2 line level output you could use for the wireless speakers. You can now play a different source on the wireless speakers.
It also has the HEOS streamer built in which will give you app control, internet radio and streaming built it. Worth the price difference imo.

Solution