Upgrade CPU or GPU for VR

usexsoap

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hi guys, I'll try to make this short. I have a hand me down computer from a couple years ago, it was and is still nice spec wise. It's an I7 2600K, 16gb DDR3. I stuck a 1060 6GB in it. I'm gaming on a 1080p Samsung 27" at 60hz, the 1060 is perfect for this. Now, this thing was filled with dust. I cleaned it best I could. It occasionally would get blue screen issues and my games would freeze (Destiny 2, PUBG specifically) and was generally slow. I built my wife a PC and hers doesn't freeze. I was getting tired of restarting my computer when we were playing together. I got so many headaches trying to figure out the problems. But hey, it was free! I clean installed windows 10 and it was a little faster but still had issues. I'm wondering if deep cleaning each component would help. This thing is dirty. Anyways, flash forward to now. I got an Oculus Rift and for Christmas, not expecting to get anything really as I'm 32, my father got me a new PC. Hey, no complaints there, I'll take a new PC! Now here is where I'm stuck. The processor is an I5-7400 (definitely a downgrade here). It also came with an RX 580 Armor 4GB GPU, I swapped this out and put my 1060 6GB in there. It has 8gb of DDR4 2400. Some cheap, no name 500w ATNG or something PSU. So, I game 1080p 60hz, ONE day I would like to do 1440p 144hz but for now I'm not in a hurry as I bought this monitor a couple years ago and my 1060 not long after. The games in VR on my RIFT are acceptable and for the most part play well on the mid/higher settings with no super sampling. Robo Recall gets sluggish at parts but I have the settings on high. Also, Dirt Rally really struggles. I find that somehow launching it with the Geforce Experience settings "optimized" on medium, high, some low and some ultra it runs "decent". It's actually better than if I put everything on low which makes absolutely zero sense. I realize now a 1080 or 1080 ti would help me out a lot with VR performance and allow me to also super sample. The thing is I'm also stuck with this i5 7400. So, I have two options for the most part that I'm thinking. The first and tricky part as these GPU prices are absolutely and completely insane. Do I hold onto this $500 while I have it, sell this RX 580, eventually sell the i7-2600K etc. and wait until hopefully these GPU prices drop and buy a 1080 ti (go big or go home). Then eventually I can work a couple days of overtime to get around $300 for a i7 7700 or 7700k even though I can't overclock it because my MOBO is a 250, which I'm fine with because stock 4.2 is still well beyond the 3.6 of the non K. Then I would need an aftermarket cooler and a new PSU which I'm going to get regardless (PSU). OPTION NUMBER 2: Right now with the $500 do I get an i7 7700 or possibly K, an EVGA Supernova 650W Gold, another matching 8gb RAM to match what I have (ADATA XPG) for a total of 16gb? I want a new cpu and a gpu and I just don't know what to get first. Obviously the GPU is going to be dramatic but will I also benefit from the CPU in VR games like Dirt? I feel like down the road it will be harder to save up for a 1080 than to just buy it now when the price drops and save for the cpu later, but honestly I don't know. So, I'm looking for some outside perspective as to what I should do first for VR and FUTURE 1440p 144hz and also what I should do with this i7-2600k, MSI RX 580 Armor 4gb, and the Z80 something MOBO? I don't want to keep it because I have no use to stream or anything and it takes up room. I want to have the DDR4 support and a fresh clean PC, etc. I'm tired of dealing with the blue screen and random problems. Also it is worth mentioning I added a 500gb SSD Samsung 850evo in my current build, which is a Cyber Power BTW not like that really matters. So any guidance as the what to do in what order would be appreciated as I am currently undecided and holding onto this money. Thanks!

usexsoap

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018

Ah sorry, didn't think of using paragraphs lol. Sorry about that! Thanks for the reply!

usexsoap

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018

Awesome that's what I was thinking. Thank you.

jgustin7b

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
1 thing I forgot. U may need a new mobo. Your current cpu socket is lga 1150 and newer processors need 1151. You can only go so far in processor choice, but I think the Haswell series (gen 4) is ok on ur mobo and is minimum for vr

usexsoap

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018

I don't blame you because my post was super confusing but currently I have the i5 7400 on an Asus B250m-a Prime mobo which is 1151. My older cpu has the i7 2600k and is the z80 something. So I would be upgrading from an i5 7400 to an i7 7700 or 7700k which is the max my mobo can take. I hear the 7700k runs hot though even with a cooler. I'm grateful I got this computer for free but the processor is a downgrade aside from the generation of the cpu.