Solved! Upgrading an older laptop [SOLVED]

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5356 and i'm looking to upgrade it's ram amongst other things. This laptop is about four yrs old and I only use for casual things so no gaming or anything taxing. But anyway that doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade it as much as possible.

So I belive can upgrade it to 16 GB max from the 8 that I currently have. Please, can you guys suggest the best possible upgrades to this laptop to make it run faster? The laptop doesn't have any issues I just mainly want to do this as a pastime as it can be extremely entertaining.
Thanks in advance.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
So i'm assuming that more ram won't help it in this case because ram doesn't improve typical pc usage? An SSD is something I wasn't thinking about because I've been under the impression that is mainly an advantage to open up programs faster like Word, Excel..etc and not something for faster web surfing; am I correct ? Also, an I5 is what i'm running currently in the laptop...so, I guess the one you suggested is a better version...? Excuse my ignorance btw. Thank you

SSD:
quicker for following things:
-boot up time, shutdown time
-opening apps
-copying, moving, deleting files

web surfing would not improve, but the browser would open up faster

How fast is your internet bandwidth?

I had another look at the CPU and it´s not replacable. It´s soldered to the motherboard.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
Sorry for the late reply. Well, I'm getting an SSD for sure then since it helps with start up and opens the browser quicker. Thank you. As far a my bandwidth i'm not sure but I stream movies through the PlayStation store and Netflix without any issues and my signal in all my electronics always reads as very strong.

So, I actually change the thermal paste today and noticed that the fan wasn't plugged in to the connector. No wonder it always got a quite bit hot right above the heatsink, I thought this was normal . Thank god I don't play any games on the laptop. Anyway, now with the fan plugged in it doesn't get anywhere near as hot on that area when I touch it.

On a side note now that I mention the fan--when I first got this laptop (about four yrs ago as an open item) it would emit this very strange smell whenever I would turn it on. I opened it and replaced the thermal paste and after I put it back together the smell was gone, well as I mentioned earlier I guess I left the fan unplugged unconciously from the connector and so it would never kick in, hence, there was no strange smell coming from it. Now that I plugged it in the strange smell is back when it kicks in. So, I think I have a somewhat defective fan and would like to change it. How do I know what different brand is compatible with my laptop?