Upgrading MBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hey TH,

My father has been noticing that his Mac Book Pro has been slowing down despite only being 6 months old. I did all the normal checks on random software and such, but I think his biggest need lies in RAM and HDD space.

I am going to upgrade his RAM to 8gb from 4 and his HDD to whatever else I can find.

The specs are as followed

i7 2.7 ghz due processor
integrated graphics hd 3000
500gb 5400 rpm hdd from who knows where
4 gb RAM at 1333 i believe from samsung
13" display.

I know how to install all the parts but my question is what parts to buy. I prefer to use Newegg as my vendor. I see G.skill has 8gb sets for 50$ as well as crucial and kingston. They are all 1333mhz. One question I have is it possible to put 1600mhz RAM into the MBP 13" or will it down clock to 1333 right away? If so then its not worth me paying 100$ instead of 50$ But if it does stay at 1600 then I might put out the extra cash for him.

Next question is HDD, what should I buy seagate or spinpoint? people argue about both all the time which is better. I would like to put a 1 tb drive in and its fine if its 5400 rpm, but I dont even know if they make that size in 2.5" bay format. Plus it has to be 9.3mm thick. I have looked at SSD's but I would never put any thing less then 256 Gb in my own laptop or his and the price per GB just seems too steep still in my mind. I mean 500$ for 256Gb ? Any way if you guys have any thoughts on this as well I would be interested. Thanks so much.

--Preolt

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, make sure the memory you buy is compatible with the Mac. Macs (and laptops in general) can be VERY picky regarding what memory they will work with. Regardless of what you buy (if faster), it will likely only run at 1333.

Second, a 9.5mm HDD should do the trick. Here is one from NewEgg, 1TB nonetheless:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

As to the slow down, is your Dad running OS X only, or is he Boot Camping with Windows as well? Just asking to make sure everything (drivers, etc) are up to date.

Last, neither adding RAM or a bigger HDD is going to radically speed up his system. The real question is what is he doing when it "slows down"?

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
he runs heavy things like lightroom and photo shop, the RAM is the bggest thing here he just needs more storage as well

That drive looks good, so you recommend it over an ssd? Also RAM, 204 pin I am assuming? I see G.skill has some, crucial and kingston are the other big names. What would you recommend? also that drive is deactivated? any other options?

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
that is what im looking for but its 12.5mm thick, I need the 9.5mm version which I cant seem to find any more. Also ive never used mwave, is it as reliable as newegg or buy.com?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

mwave is pretty darn good. When I can't find something on NewEgg, I use them. Have for years and never had a problem. Sorry if I linked the wrong drive. Thought I had the right version.

Status
Not open for further replies.