Upgrading RAM of laptop

malcx3000

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I know my laptop RAM [4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)] as it was shown here http://

Does this mean I can plug any 4GB RAM in as long as it runs at 1600? What does 1 X 4 GB mean and does my new RAM also have to be 1 X 4?

I need more RAM for photoshop and using DAWs. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
1 x 4GB refers to the number of 'sticks', it means you have 1 stick of 4GB RAM
if it was 2 x 2GB, then you would have 2 sticks of 2GB = 4GB ram (this is generally noted as a matched pair).

your laptop may come with RAM slots free, so you can manually upgrade the amount you have (normally laptops have 2 RAM slots, 4 if they are expensive ones). So you 'can' buy another 4gb soDIMM to get a total of 8GB RAM (that would then be 2 x 4GB).

BUT many would suggest you buy a 'matched pair' of 2 x 4GB (8GB total) as RAM sticks are like people, sometimes they dont get along ... buying in a matched pair garantees a happy marriage. you dont want them fighting eachother right? :)

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
1 x 4GB refers to the number of 'sticks', it means you have 1 stick of 4GB RAM
if it was 2 x 2GB, then you would have 2 sticks of 2GB = 4GB ram (this is generally noted as a matched pair).

your laptop may come with RAM slots free, so you can manually upgrade the amount you have (normally laptops have 2 RAM slots, 4 if they are expensive ones). So you 'can' buy another 4gb soDIMM to get a total of 8GB RAM (that would then be 2 x 4GB).

BUT many would suggest you buy a 'matched pair' of 2 x 4GB (8GB total) as RAM sticks are like people, sometimes they dont get along ... buying in a matched pair garantees a happy marriage. you dont want them fighting eachother right? :)

Solution

malcx3000

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

Wow, thanks for the answer (and so fast too)

Just to clarify, if I already have 1 stick of 4 GB RAM installed and I have a free slot, it would be better to get another stick of 4 GB RAM running at 1600MHz than another, say 2 X 2 GB RAM stick or something running at 1333 MHz?

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
you could get another 4GB ram for a total system count of 8GB (you would have 2 x 4GB)

but as i stated above, a lot of problems can occur if the sticks (even if they are exactly the same make model speed) dont like eachother (the chance is very small but it does happen). which is why many people do spend more to get a matched pair.
BUT buying a matched pair of 2 x 4GB (8GB total) would mean the single 4GB you currently have in your laptop would be going spare (unused) and cost more .... keep or ebay the spare to recover some cost?

so basically, either buy 1 x 4GB and hope they dont argue. (your total system memory would be 8GB - 4Gb you got and 4GB you buy).
or buy a matched pair 2 x 4GB (your total system memory would be 8GB - 2 x 4Gb you buy) and have the 'old' 4GB ram stick spare.
- or even 2x 8GB (total system memory 16GB - if youre rich)