Upgrading toshiba satellite x205-s9810

zenchi

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello, the specs of my laptop aren't bad..for the year I bought it which was when it was first released. It's my baby lol I paid more for it then my car (which some kind think sad but true :p ) I use it for everything from gaming to much media.

Intell Core 2 Dou CPU t7300 @ 2.00Ghz

2Gb ram

Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Nvidia geForce 8700m GT

150gb x 2 internal Harddrives

4 harman/kardon speakers ( great sound. ^-^ )

6 2.0 usb

fingerprint ID

Full media setup (all the components came with it so it could connect and act as a TiVo I suppose is the word for it even a nice remote like a tv has)

I've never upgraded a laptop before, and was wondering how much I could upgrade and what you all would recommend. I know I've heard that it can support up to 4gb ram, though I read somewhere that with a Bio's update it can support up to 8gb ram. I've also read and heard of someone upgrading one to the point of the lowest windows rating being around 6.3 (though mine right now is 4.8) I'd like to upgrade everything I can, or at least here and there (the parts I can do one at a time.) from processor to even the graphics card and harddrives. (though one thing I've tried the readyboost option once and it never worked for me sadly. and the usb slots to 3.0. Though since I have newb when it comes to upgrading laptops I looked and found a forum so I could get your input. Sadly I can't find that post of the guy that upgraded his to all 6.3 cause I believe he even somehow managed to change motherboards, though don't quote me. I can't afford to replace this one (new when it first came out it was 3k -.-) though I should have had some foresight and got a nice desktop that I would and could know I could upgrade it. (though at the time I was all into gaming on the go.) So any advice would be great. This was the first forum I found and I hope it's great one. (One would think I would have already had a forum for these things since I'm on many other forums for other things. lol)

Also, a side note a list of compatible parts or link too. (like how they recommend toshiba ram, which since it's a toshiba might be best or might not since most companies sometimes just recommend their own for natural reasons.)

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
a 32-bit OS cannot use more then 4GB of memory about $50

ExpressCard to USB 3.0 about $25

Intell Core 2 Dou CPU t7800 @ 2.60Ghz about $60

Video card cannot be upgraded.

not sure how big of a hard drive the BIOS supports. I know 200GB

zenchi

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
ah ok thanks for the feed back, I can upgrade OS anyways to windows 7, I've messed with 8 some and since its not a touch screen or anything just HD I dont know if there is any other real benefit from 8 over 7. Though either way 64 bit would mean it could handle the 8gb of ram like the one person was talking about?