Solved! -URGENT- Taskeng.exe window keeps popping up after virus clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2018
I did a virus cleansing with hitman pro after a number of failed attempts with Malwarebytes,Avast, Adwcleaner (all of them appeared to be blocked by the admin -im the admin and i didint do anything of this sort- )

after what appeared to be a successful cleaning, the pop up ads stopped occuring. Also did a disk clean up
HOWEVER
A cmd window labelled ' taskeng.exe' keeps giving this error:
'Windows cannot find
C/users/(my user name)/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/gediscag/eiscdhrb.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again'

this occurs periodically about every 5-6mins

could it be that;
Its another virus or virus giving a periodic command to execute something that has been cleaned??
OR
Is it a natural system error??
OR
Is it that something is still active after the cleaning??

Solution
Do you have like C: D: E: drives (Called patrition) with data? if C is infected , rest are more likley clean.
Because most times viruses infect "windows" part.
You can reinstall windows if its on C: anytime and still have data. Just make sure that you transfer it from Documents, Videos and etc, what is on C:
Unless you're using one patrition.

kcooldude

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015
I'm not an expert on this, but it could still be you have some viruses or something with windows got corrupted. Also, I would highly recommend trying to fix
your Malwarebytes error, maybe this thread might help.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/201134-cant-install-malwarebytes-this-app-has-been-blocked-for-your-protection/

If something on that forum website helps then try to run Malwarebytes to further clean your computer. If the above post does not help, I would recommend doing a factory reset on your computer, backup only important files/data as you do not know what files are corrupted, so do not backup everything. Also, before factory resetting I would wait to see what other people on this forum say, some are probably experts.

Apr 10, 2018

Ill see if it can help but I wont do a reset unless I have no other options.
Thanks for the support, lets see what the others see about this

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
download ccleaner and delete the line in tools => startup => windows and/or scheduled tasks.

Youy might want to run adwcleaner, jrt and roguekiller to be sure they can't cleanup a bit more.
goto bleepingcomputer.com to get them.

Apr 10, 2018

Nope, the problem still occurs

mdd1963

Distinguished
pull up your task scheduler (accessible within Win10 by typing 'task sched' in search window, and examine each and every task, deleting ones you are not familiar with, especially if related to above processes...

If in doubt, delete first, ask questions later....

mdd1963

Distinguished
you might also look at www.freefixer.com

a detailed scan lets you view almost everything scheduled, running, recent, browser helper objects, etc.,....(many processors are 'green shaded out from deletion, as in white-listed)

likewise, Microsoft/SysInternals' process explorer might let you track down the miscreant window and process driving it you mentioned above...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Another thing you can try -- running a boot-time scan. Sometimes malware will try to propagate itself and perhaps a portion of it still remains. Were you ever able to successfully run a virus/malware scan or are security programs still being blocked? (If so, this could be a definte sign there is malware still present on your system; some malware is known to interfere with security software in this way)

Here's instructions on how to run a boot time scan with Avast: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/132/

You can also run a boot time scan in Safe Mode, or if you can't run AV at all, you could create a Rescue Disk on a non-affected machine: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Use-Antivirus-Rescue-Disk

Apr 10, 2018

The problem is, that I still am unable to run most anti-malware software's INCLUDING Avast. The system wont allow me to access its setup or program and halt me by the message 'this software has been blocked for your protection'

Apr 10, 2018

Is it possible to create a backup file for selective programs and files while cleaning of all other disks?

kcooldude

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015

I think that the avast guy meant was that you can do a boot time scan. This does not require setup, I think. I did one many many years ago. I think you can set it to boot off a flash drive, you have to go into your bios and set it up so the flash drive is prioritize or something. That way, the virus or whatever doesn't get a chance to impair the scan, since your computer is only booting off the flash drive.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Solution i tried

1. Download and install autorun (heres the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns)

2. restart PC/notebook and start the safe mode

3. Login then find the autorun.exe

4. search the unusual/infected running program from the autorun menu

5. i found the most potential unwanted programs that run in my p, then i delete it from the registry...

I just had a windows update, so it's entirely possible that you have too, which could have created a conflict in an autorun program, or even the virus checker got a same named file and deleted both (there is a virus using the name taskeng.exe etc) so you may just end up re-installing everything that's supposed to autorun at startup.

Every single time I get a windows update I have to fix Realtemp which has a windows task startup command at boot.

Apr 10, 2018

How do you determine that a running program is a threat, virus?
I may end up deleting essentials..

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Google. Especially anything that looks wierd. It's a hassle, can be tedious. From a safe mode boot, there's nothing that starts up automatically other than what the OS needs to operate, so no sound drivers, no funky programs, no Facebook logins etc. So on autorun there should only be a handful of stuff that's going to start up with the boot process. Win 98 was easy, everything was in the Start folder, Win10 is more challenging. But it should also show any windows tasks, stuff that starts without being in the start folder, stuff that usually requires your User Permission.

Apr 10, 2018
I was gonna do that but I have decided to restore the system entirely. I lack the external hard drive for back ups and due to the urgency of this havoc, i just want to get rid of all the distractions thats taking over my work progress..

Is there a possible solution to restore the system entirely while backing up essential files like photos and other files I deem malware free??

kcooldude

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015

Can't you just take the files you deem essential by dragging them over to a flash drive/external hard drive and then do a clean restore?

Apr 10, 2018

I have at least a 100GB worth of data. I can not do it with a usb. While a cloud would take me days to back up and days to download. As a quick solution I wanted to reset my PC but let me keep selective files.

Do you have like C: D: E: drives (Called patrition) with data? if C is infected , rest are more likley clean.
Because most times viruses infect "windows" part.
You can reinstall windows if its on C: anytime and still have data. Just make sure that you transfer it from Documents, Videos and etc, what is on C:
Unless you're using one patrition.

Solution
Apr 10, 2018

Yes, I have multiple drives: D and E (C for system). How do you suggest I do this reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.