US Air Force Blocking New York Times, Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Know what? Just get a couple of extreme conservative sites allowed, and block the rest of the Internet traffic.
Because, you know, covering up dirt actually makes it disappear.
Geez.....

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
"But the Air Force is ignoring the "guidance" and taking matters into its own hands. According to defense officials, service commanders actually have the authority to issue their own orders to protect classified information, bypassing the Pentagon."

Am I the only one that is sorta seeing this as a.... i dont know.....a bad thing? Seems like it would be very easy abuse. :-(

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Know what? Just get a couple of extreme conservative sites allowed, and block the rest of the Internet traffic. Because, you know, covering up dirt actually makes it disappear.Geez.....[/citation]
Dirt never disappears, all we can ever do is cover it up :p

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Tom's, please fix the freakin' thumb system! Thank you.

Regarding the topic. This is so hypocritical. Advocate free speech in the world until you no longer see it fit, because now, it's a matter of "national security". Just sad!

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]Tom's, please fix the freakin' thumb system! Thank you.Regarding the topic. This is so hypocritical. Advocate free speech in the world until you no longer see it fit, because now, it's a matter of "national security". Just sad![/citation]
No...I'm afraid that's incorrect. If you read the article, the point made is to keep classified information off of unclassified computers. Being in the Air Force myself, it seems an obvious step. It's just the way things are done here. We can still go to other computer on base and access the site if we want, just not on a government computer.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the military can block whatever the hell it wants and i'm fine with it. not only is it above most personnels security clearence, it's also way above their pay grade. when you sign up with the american military you belong to them for the amount of time a person agrees to. it's in the contract. they aren't allowed to bad mouth the commander in chief no matter what and they most certainly aren't allowed access to this material until their contract with the military is up or they are given permission there is NO 'Free Speech' let alone freedom in the american military, you do what your told and anything else you ask for permission first. so i hope that clears up the whiners about what goes on in the american military. if you're told to closely watch all of kim il sung activities in north korea it means when he takes a dump, you hand him the toilet paper!

this material was classified, and leaked by an military id'gi'ot with security clearence his sorry butt will be spending the rest of his life in levenworth cleaning the floor with his tongue to teach him how to shut up and the consequences for what he did, homosexual or not that is the last thing this pvt. is going to learn.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't find anything wrong with this action myself. Military personnel should focus on their job of protecting their nation.

No, I'm not an American.

meguas

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
For those of you that were never in the military... specifically the air force, this really doesn't matter as you can visit barely anything anyway. They deny access to tons of stuff.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
GOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!

If you don't get it, watch the movie. One of Robin Williams' better flicks.

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]danlw[/nom]GOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!If you don't get it, watch the movie. One of Robin Williams' better flicks.[/citation]
No I don't get the joke....
If you don't get it/weren't there don't follow movies based on a couple facts and a lot of laughs.Robin williams better flicks were one hour photo,dead poets society,Mrs doubtfire,RV
old schoolers will agree he was funny in mork & mindy

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]gh0st[/nom]No I don't get the joke....If you don't get it/weren't there don't follow movies based on a couple facts and a lot of laughs.Robin williams better flicks were one hour photo,dead poets society,Mrs doubtfire,RVold schoolers will agree he was funny in mork & mindy[/citation]

I got it just fine... it's about some things he was not allowed to read on the news... so he read them off and told them they didn't happen.

I personally believe it's one of his top 3 movies. Dead poets society, Patch Adams and Good Morning Vietnam

I will agree that he was funny in Mork and Mindy, but I was a young kid so all slastick kind of stuff is funny. eg: "The doctor said I need more iron..." Mork: "Eat your car keys". That's pretty funny shit when you are 4.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Right or wrong, this Assange guy needs a third eye for compromising our beloved nation as he did.[/citation]

So ambiguous... are you a closet Republican homo who wants to kill everyone who is not a Christian or owns stock in the prison system? Or a crystal waving, rope smoking, hippy who honestly believes he needs some preternatural power to defend himself against the evil forces of a Zionist conspiracy?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gh0st[/nom]No I don't get the joke....If you don't get it/weren't there don't follow movies based on a couple facts and a lot of laughs.Robin williams better flicks were one hour photo,dead poets society,Mrs doubtfire,RVold schoolers will agree he was funny in mork & mindy[/citation]
I thing Good Morning Vietnam is definitely one of his better movies.

As for the article, it seems to me that any computer that has access to classified documents shouldn't have access to the internet (other than maybe a VPN to access the gov't network).

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So let me get this strait. In an attempt to keep "classified" information off of their non-secure computers, they decided to block the new york times? Dude, after it hits the front page of the new york times, I think you can safely say it's no longer classified.

spoonless eddie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]As for the article, it seems to me that any computer that has access to classified documents shouldn't have access to the internet....[/citation]

Yeah, sounds like a no-brainer to me too. I am certain that careless handling of classified material is a punishable offense. I don't know why the general who approved this setup isn't in the hot-seat instead of this Leaks guy. The Leaks guy did the country a favor by revealing our poor security. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. This guy Holder is such a tool. I don't understand why the public hasn't figured this out. But then, I have never understood people.

Status
Not open for further replies.