Question usb-c port as a power port???

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i'm looking to get a newer pc and looking at ebay for now to save few $$ anyway, they all seem to be missing the power supply's. so i see most of the new pcs all have 1 or 2 ports called usb-c ports and most of those ports seem to be able to send out control for a extra monitor and for a lan network connection, and to take in power to run the pc. but what i need to find out is this? are all the new pcs that use this port for power input do they have the same volts? when i check the specs on the hp they are 19 volts and it looks like the best i get from dell is 12 volts but they plug into the pc power port but what about the usb-c port are they the same volts as the power supply would be?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, many modern laptops now use a USB-C port as the charging port. Those ports often have a "lightening bolt" image by the port to denote this feature.

Whatever the brand, it will be designed to draw optimal power for charging and powering the system. Not something you need to overthink.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
thanks not over thinking just wondering if there is a standard for the input voltage now. but thanks for the info on the lightning bolt to indicate that port will take input power also that is a big help, better than the hp forums that told me to just by a new one.