Use This Algorithm, Win 'StarCraft II'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
What a bunch of bull... If they ever played a game of SC2 and/or watched korean pros do it, they wouldn't waste time on this 'research'..

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
For example, in a game of "StarCraft II," if you're playing as the Terrans and your teammate is playing as the Zerg, and you keep your population growth rate low while your teammate keeps population growth rate high, your chances of winning are over 70 percent.

These 'researchers' understand very little about the actual game. 'Population growth rates' gimme a break.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Creating a statistic with so many hidden variables makes for a very useless statistic. Now if they were to give a set of simplifying assumptions that could be used as a basis for their claims, that would make it more useful. E.g., in a professional game in TvZ doing fast reaper harass leads to victory N% of the time given that the zerg player goes for fast expand etc. etc. This statistic may vary for several levels of player skill, since obviously fast reaper harass is easy to screw up, especially for new players.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
student Pu Yang analyzed thousands of professional-level matches in team-based, real-time strategy games like "StarCraft II," "Warcraft III" and "Defense of the Ancients."

I'm sure he did. That's going to be my new excuse for playing video games "But it's research!", wait I already do that.

natcparis

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I'm puzzled because if the algorithms are based on each player's unit counts, then they are of no use. As an SC2 player you do not see the opponent's units.
At least not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.