User's Facebook Data Request Produces 1222 Pg PDF on CD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Do they actually verify the person who's requesting the information or can anyone go up there and get the entire life history of their friends or co-workers!

popatim

Splendid
Half the reason stuff is kept so long is its requied by law. I'm sure the other half is because they mine it to sell; just like google. its not like they make lots of money off us for using the sites...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
much of the data he discovered to be retained in Facebook's records were previously believed to be deleted. These records included the times when Schrems logged in and out of Facebook, the times and content of every message sent and received, and an "accounting of every person and thing he’s ever liked, posted, poked, friended or recorded." Facebook kept records of friend requests, photos, employment and relationship statuses, and former or alternative names and email addresses.

Of course it keeps that kind of data. Every website out there keeps logs of what their users do and their previous data when updated. The only thing that is bad is if Facebook keeps images and text that was previously deleted, which they probably have stored in log tables somewhere. As a software engineer I can tell you that nothing is ever permanently deleted. At my company we have database backups spread over the last 12 years.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Thats alot of data. I wonder if he was a poweruser or not. I can only imagine how much data some of the more active users would see.

G

if you have a psychological need to connect to a stranger on the other side of the world that you don't even know about, then you need help. And in this day and age you still use Facebook, you're a fool.

G

Facebook's records were previously believed to be deleted. These records included the times when Schrems logged in and out of Facebook,

Status
Not open for further replies.