Using Desktop as Laptop Dock?

raflopjr

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Greetings!

I'm currently running a Razer blade stealth, and was debating on purchasing a dock for my laptop. I'd love to be able to play games and work on some modeling stuff at home and be able to have access to all my files, but I figure I'm better off using the stealth as great Ultrabook. For the price that I can get an enclosure for the laptop such as the Razer core I can build a decent gaming PC that can be upgraded (and not eventually bottlenecked by a dual core i7). So my question is if I build a desktop, can I use it as a dock which I can access files and documents from the laptop such as Autodesk Maya project files but run it from the desktop to take advantage of a desktop GPU and additional ram? Perhaps even taking advantage of the thunderbolt 3 port on my laptop to access files quickly or run Maya from the laptop SSD?

Solution
Use the laptop as the repository of files, and then just share that folder so the desktop can access it. Not ideal, a NAS would be better but you'll encounter issues access those files whilst your laptop is away from the NAS.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Use the laptop as the repository of files, and then just share that folder so the desktop can access it. Not ideal, a NAS would be better but you'll encounter issues access those files whilst your laptop is away from the NAS.

Solution