Using external eSATA drive on a Arris DCX3510-M

johncallaway

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
My ISP/TV provider won't enable the external SATA feature on my DVR. Is their a way to do it myself? I don't think the provider has the know how or software to enable this feature!
When you plug in a eSATA the TV screen says that it has to be authorized/enabled by the provider. Their comment was that they were concerned about movie copyright restrictions so they won't enable the feature. The user manual says that each external hard drive is encrypted with a hardware key tied to the DVR. So I think they are blowing smoke!

Solution
Your DVR isn't meant to be a video library.
Legally it's for time shifting only so they limit the storage and make it impossible to copy content from a drive. Whether they or you could activate or bypass this via software I don't know. Might be in the hardware.
They also want to sell you their more expensive multi-room DVR service which stores content on their server rather than the local cable box.

Your DVR isn't meant to be a video library.
Legally it's for time shifting only so they limit the storage and make it impossible to copy content from a drive. Whether they or you could activate or bypass this via software I don't know. Might be in the hardware.
They also want to sell you their more expensive multi-room DVR service which stores content on their server rather than the local cable box.

Solution