Using HDD's + data from existing laptop for use in a new laptop

XLAAX

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Hi,

I am expecting to receive a new laptop in 1/2 weeks, and I want to be able to use my HDD's in my existing laptop for use in my new laptop, along with programs/files I have stored in my HDD's.
I plan to use Windows 7 on the new laptop if that means anything, however obviously the laptop will have new/different CPU/GPU/components, etc., and since all my programs may be using settings based on them, I'm pressuming its not as simple to just plug in the HDD to the laptop.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks

issy2401

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hi unfortunately you cant jusy plug in the old hard drive since the new laptop as yew mentioned has new CPU and GPU thus drivers will be different....you will have to do a fresh install of Windows 7...

XLAAX

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Yeah I was expecting that to be the case, but is there a way to "transfer" programs/games I have installed afterwards or something?

XLAAX

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Not even steam games? Will take a LONG time to install of them again...

geofelt

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Unless your new laptop is exactly the same as the old, then no.

The drivers currently installed will not be the same as those needed on the new laptop.

Programs have registry entries on the ""C" drive. When you use a different "c" drive, those entries will not be there to support transferred programs.

You are looking at reinstalling programs.
Files and settings should be easy.
Use windows easy transfer to export files and settings. You can then import them on the new laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Laptop Tech Support 1
feijaominow Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 4
D Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 3
Pharoah742000 Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 1
live_neutral_ground Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
Steven2302 Laptop Tech Support 2
NicIsHere123 Laptop Tech Support 6