Solved! Using Windows scaling on a 24" 1440p monitor- ideal ppi?

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
I'm coming from a 24" 1920x1200 screen, which gave me 94.34 ppi. Just got a 27" 1440 screen, and at 100% scaling, it's. 108.79 ppi. To me, everything looks a bit too small. It's usable, but not the most comfortable. I see I can set a custom scaling in Win10, and was just curious what others were using. In theory, if I wanted to get the same 94 ppi look, I should use 108.79/94.34 = 115%. This actually looks pretty decent to me. Scaling to 120% isn't too bad, either.

I know a lot of this will depend on preference, and the user's eyesight, but wouldn't it be best to try to get around 96 ppi, since that is what Windows was designed around? I guess it could be that I'm just used to the "look" of a 24" 1200p screen, since that's what I've used for years.

Solution
Try it and see what you like. There is no single thing that is best for everyone like you already said. Or simply use it without scaling for a week and very good chance it will look just fine to you after that. I went from a 1080 screen to a 1440 not too long ago, never bothered me with the image sizes on it. I think I'm just using 100% scaling, having a higher res screen but then blowing things up to fit less on the screen seems a bit counterproductive to me.
Try it and see what you like. There is no single thing that is best for everyone like you already said. Or simply use it without scaling for a week and very good chance it will look just fine to you after that. I went from a 1080 screen to a 1440 not too long ago, never bothered me with the image sizes on it. I think I'm just using 100% scaling, having a higher res screen but then blowing things up to fit less on the screen seems a bit counterproductive to me.

Reactions: milehigh
Solution