utorrent download issues

Mrcrazed

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
So im trying to download a file on utorrent, and about five minutes into the download, the download speed goes from 350 kb/s to 20 kb/s, and the availability changes to a solid color. (blue, green, red, etc.) so how do I fix this?

Solution
One thing you might be able to do is go into preferences and and under connection, make sure you select "randomize port each start" and if your version has a setting for encryption, make sure it's enabled. If your ISP can't tell the difference between streaming and a torrent, they may not throttle you.

USAFRet

Illustrious

In your own words, please describe to us what you believe a 'download' from uTorrent is.
(it probably is not what you think)

Or...your ISP is throttling you, as mentioned above.

Mrcrazed

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

a torrent is when you are getting files from multiple people, piece by piece, and your download speed depends on the amount of seeders and their upload speed. but that isn't the problem here, there are hundreds of seeders on this torrent.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And it still depends on their upload performance.
And your ISP, or theirs, throttling things.

Torrents are never reliable as to a good connection speed. Never.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

That's easy to figure out... there probably aren't that many seeders. If it's a new torrent file.. then the speed at the beginning you experience was utorrent catching you up to everyone else.. and the slow down means you're at the same speed as everyone else. If you want a faster download.. look for stuff that has more than one seeder..

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I must be blind or getting senile or something.. i reread like 3-4 times and I don't anything written about hundreds of seeders...

USAFRet

Illustrious

I see it, both in his original comment and my quote of that.
"but that isn't the problem here, there are hundreds of seeders on this torrent."

Uk6Ygdr.jpg

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I honestly don't see it.. i re-looked... doesn't say that... but it doesn't matter... I might have another solution for the user....

Assuming the person isn't confusing PEERS with Seeders, I may have an explanation for his problem. uTorrent has two sets of numbers for SEEDERS... the set inside the parenthesis are the total number of users with the COMPLETED torrent... and the number right in front shows the total number of users YOU ARE CONNECTED TOO. If that number is low or says zeros... it could mean that no one can connect to you because of your firewall settings. I used to have that problem with an old router I was using. If that's the case you need to use Port Forwarding to open up your port for uTorrent. NOW... the best way to test that would be to use uTorrent's built in test from OPTIONS and then selecting SETUP GUIDE.. and that will test out your ports to see if anyone can connect to you. If your fail the test.. then you need Port Forwarding...

Mrcrazed

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

I ran the test, and it says: Port is open. Your network is properly configured. so I guess my ISP is throttling me? but it doesn't do it with anything else, just utorrent.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
One thing you might be able to do is go into preferences and and under connection, make sure you select "randomize port each start" and if your version has a setting for encryption, make sure it's enabled. If your ISP can't tell the difference between streaming and a torrent, they may not throttle you.

Solution

Mrcrazed

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

That... That worked, thanks a million.