Solved! Valur-for-money gaming laptop

G

Hello,
looking for a good gaming laptop.i need it to run applications like autodesk maya, photoshop and other video editing applications smoothly. budget is $2000. appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Solution
The Profesional cards generally only come on workstations. You can go on Dell's website and build yourself a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 1800M + Core i7 740QM + 1920x1080 HD monitor + 500 GB Hard drive for just under $2000. It only comes with 2gb of ram, but the ram upgrades where ridiculously expensive... just go on newegg and buy your own.

I think that'll fit your needs pretty well :)

EDIT:

If you don't actually need to do that much hard core rendering jobs, consider getting a Asus G73JH. It comes with a Core i7 720QM and a Radeon HD 5870, which will run games much better than the Quadro FX 1800M, but isn't really a professional card... and i have no idea how well it'll do on rendering jobs (but since its AMD's fastest...
G

_What is your budget? $1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15/17

3_What screen resolution do you want?1720x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?3-4 hours is okay

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Photo / Video editing, 3d modeling and animation, sound editing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 500 GB 7200 rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. need a quad core processor and a good graphics card. It's okay if the price goes a little beyond 1500 but it should be worth it

thank you in advance

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
_What is your budget? $1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15/17

3_What screen resolution do you want?1720x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?3-4 hours is okay

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Photo / Video editing, 3d modeling and animation, sound editing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 500 GB 7200 rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. need a quad core processor and a good graphics card. It's okay if the price goes a little beyond 1500 but it should be worth it

thank you in advance

Hi there,

You should check out the Dell Studio XPS 16 w/ SSD. It has 4 GB of RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics, and 1080p high-definition support. It is a great laptop for photo and video editing.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

G

Thanks for responding Isabella. i think Dell studio XPS 16 is a great system but i am not too sure about the graphics card because it has not been tested and certified by Autodesk and Maya is the application I am going to work with most. do you think it'll still be okay?

any other suggestions?

Thanks again

G

does this look okay?

HP Pavilion dv7t Select Edition customizable Notebook PC

WA357AV

* Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
* System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
* Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM Quad Core processor (1.73GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz
* 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 [HDMI, VGA] - For Quad Core Processors
* FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
* Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 3 Year Subscription (activation required)
* 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
* 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
* SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
* HP TrueVision Webcam and Fingerprint Reader
* Intel Wireless-N Card
* Standard Keyboard
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

again, im not sure about the graphics card. suggestions please!!!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for responding Isabella. i think Dell studio XPS 16 is a great system but i am not too sure about the graphics card because it has not been tested and certified by Autodesk and Maya is the application I am going to work with most. do you think it'll still be okay?

any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Hi there,

Are there any specific graphics cards recommended by the applications you will be using? That will be a helpful place to start.

Looking forward to helping you further,

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

G

Autodesk recommends the professional NVIDIA Quadro, ATI FirePro, and ATI FireGL graphics family cards but i dont see them available in any of the laptops. The next are the following consumer graphic cards that have been tested and certified by them.

GeForce GTX 295
GeForce GTS 250
GeForce GT 220
GeForce 9800 GT
GeForce 9600 GT
Radeon HD 5870
Radeon HD 4870
Radeon HD 3850
Radeon HD 3650

Thanks

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
The Profesional cards generally only come on workstations. You can go on Dell's website and build yourself a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 1800M + Core i7 740QM + 1920x1080 HD monitor + 500 GB Hard drive for just under $2000. It only comes with 2gb of ram, but the ram upgrades where ridiculously expensive... just go on newegg and buy your own.

I think that'll fit your needs pretty well :)

EDIT:

If you don't actually need to do that much hard core rendering jobs, consider getting a Asus G73JH. It comes with a Core i7 720QM and a Radeon HD 5870, which will run games much better than the Quadro FX 1800M, but isn't really a professional card... and i have no idea how well it'll do on rendering jobs (but since its AMD's fastest mobile card, i think it'll do fine). It should be roughly $1500.

Solution
G

thanks a lot for your inputs, that was helpful. I'll look at both these options and get back with questions, if any.

Thanks again

and actually, i don't plan to play any games, work mostly with autodesk maya (3d modeling, animation), photoshop and other video editing applications. i was told that any gaming laptop would work well for my requirements. i am just a beginner right now but i plan to do more animation related stuff. Would you still suggest the ASUS G73JH?

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
thanks a lot for your inputs, that was helpful. I'll look at both these options and get back with questions, if any.

Thanks again

and actually, i don't plan to play any games, work mostly with autodesk maya (3d modeling, animation), photoshop and other video editing applications. i was told that any gaming laptop would work well for my requirements. i am just a beginner right now but i plan to do more animation related stuff. Would you still suggest the ASUS G73JH?

Yeah gaming laptops with their high end graphics cards are indeed good for CAD tools, but i really don't know how it compares to professional cards that don't perform as well for games... although i suspect for professional work, the weaker professional cards would do better regardless.

G

Thank you for your help sidewinderx2 and Isabella, i decided on ASUS G73JH. I hope i have a good experience with it.