Valve Finally Confirms Steam for Linux

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
There will be some road bumps but the Linux community is resolved and patient, we will free the code for all. No one should pay for for a OS as in you can not buy a computer right now without a proprietary OS on it, be it MS or Apple. Before any of you jump on the tiny segment of Linux sold computers, think...

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Have to wonder just how much use this will get, honestly. If we're looking at "You need to play with WINE" and all the misc. adjustments to get stuff to run that arent' indie (or the few titles like L4D they mention,) it just won't be that big. Nice for the people who *use* Linux, sure, I don't begrudge them getting the steam client at all...

Now, if the client can detect non-native games installing and set up everything for the user... the casual gamer that wants to try Linux is going to love this more, and it *will* help market share. Like it or not, people *do* just want to install and go, not install, screw around with config files, type in arcane commands and go.

I wouldn't call it "The beginning of the end for Windows" (that goes to Win8... oy, hate that mess) but it certainly can't *hurt* interest in Linux.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]evilaaron11[/nom]I don't think Steam for Linux will really change much of anything. Unless of course there are actually games to play. Regardless, however, the average consumer won't care to learn how to use Linux, so I doubt Windows is in any trouble at all.[/citation]
Agreed. It'll take a LOT of time until a reasonable number of games begin to get released for Linux (if it ever happens) or Mac, so until then, Windows is completely safe as the main PC gaming platform.

I'm both a Windows and Linux user by the way, and both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Now if only Adobe released CS for Linux, Windows would be in trouble. Not going to happen though, but maybe they'll have some on-line equivalent in a few years.[/citation]

*Looks at standard business software, including the custom-made ones for in-company usage only*

If they don't even support Windows 7, how are they going to support Linux?

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I understand why they are targeting Ubuntu (it's intended for new linux users, good desktop installation base, it's the Apple/OSX of the linux world, etc. etc.), but I hate to see them targeting a certain distribution when they could have VERY EASILY made a generic linux version and just shipped the libraries. Or, even better, use the LSB from the start if possible. They could even offload the packaging to each distribution (or do it themselves since it takes all of 5 minutes to create a .deb/.rpm/etc).

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Steam for linux.. yeaaahhh. Steam linux+ linux distro optimized for gaming only will be great, maybe we can call it pc console.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I'm sure any major change is a abomination to guys like you.[/citation]

Ya like if he runs Linux he doesn't have to deal with any major changes! FAIL. Guys like you can't believe that someone can have an opinion different then yours and so you shuffle it off into 'they must not like change' when obviously anyone running any major Linux distro is quite adept to change by it's very nature!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I can see this being a springboard for a Steam Console, a new entry into the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft endless war
If they can get every title working then they should be able to clean house with their massive back catalogue and regular sales

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Now if only Adobe released CS for Linux, Windows would be in trouble. Not going to happen though, but maybe they'll have some on-line equivalent in a few years.[/citation]
Adobe alone isn't going to cut it! Autodesk and the other productivity companies would need to switch too. That would hurt Windows sales (companies are more likely to have legit licenses than endusers)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
YES!!

And if some people would pay for development of Adobe CS and TurboTax + Quickbooks for Linux , then nothing else is needed to run the Windows-office platform. If Linux was to capture 10+% of the desktop market... you can bet MS would HAVE to make MS-Office for Linux.

And no... Linux isn't even close to 5% of the desktop market. Non-Android Linux has 1.6~3.x % of the desktop market. Apple is at 7% (non iOS). These are GOOD things.

It would still take years, but once MS-OS starts getting below 70% market share... they may actually do real competing... better products, lower prices.

I'm pretty much sure Windows7 *will* be my last MS-OS. I'm planning a 2~4 years to do the transition. keep an old PC to run old PC games. I'll use the PS4 as my console since AAA games are for consoles with almost nothing for Windows (not even MS branded titles).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
GIMP

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]GIMP[/citation]

Unfortunately GIMP is not anywhere near Photoshop in terms of... well anything. And Inkscape is nowhere near Illustrator.
It may look like they're viable alternatives to people who use them only occasionally, and I did try really hard to use GIMP but it's got too many issues.

drazekironwing

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Grats to Linux users getting the Steam platform, I hope it isn't short lived however.

I've "thought" about switching from Windows to Linux ... but as a true gamer I'd have to be insane to ever consider it!

I understand the benefits of free and opensource software, but in my personal life and as an IT professional, I keep Linux at arms reach and only use it if I absolutely have to.

I'm not saying Linux is bad, but what's the point in using Linux and Mac OSX on a home gaming computer if 90% of the games produced don't work on them? (or don't work very well.)

For the same reasons I keep Linux and Mac OSX away from my company, There isn't anything that Linux of Mac OSX can do that a Windows machine can't. and having to support 2 or 3 OS's is just not worth it. different software versions for each OS, different teething problems, different compatibility issues, etc.

It's the same reason why I keep Blackberries out of the office, just don't need the hassle of an ageing outdated OS that can't even hook into Exchange properly.

and yes I have used many different Linux distributions and Mac, (I still hate Macs). Linux is a fun piece of software to play around with, explore and learn about, but as far as I'm concerned, that's all it is for me. I think the only thing I've ever really liked about Linux is the apache web server, and that's only because .htaccess files are really easy to use compared to Windows IIS's equivalent..

MS aren't without their flaws however, I'm not blind! - I HATE windows 8 more than I dislike linux/mac, and I think MS have completely dropped the ball with their latest version of windows. Making Win server 2013 follow the same design of removing the task bar also completely baffles me!? So I think I'll be sticking with my favourite OS for a few more years to come yet, Windows 7.

I guess you can call me a Windows Fan, but I am with good reason!

This isn't a flame post, it's an honest opinion.

G

Great news...
but gpu drivers has been deteriorating....

ihave a mix feeling about buntu ...kinda bloated(unity version)..

Status
Not open for further replies.