Venom Vibration XT+ Headset Problem - High-Pitched Tone

befirefly7

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
Hiya, I've been having a problem with a pair of Venom Vibration XT+ headphones I just bought from Amazon.uk; using them on a PC (Lenovo Ideapad Y580 laptop, running 64-bit win7):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Venom-Gaming-Vibration-Headset-Xbox/dp/B00I3UVRP6

They were recommended from a person I game with, and they seem to be a superb set of headphones aside from this incredibly annoying, high-pitched whining noise I hear through them every time I do anything that would create a sound output.

The headset is multi-platform or w/e, so it has a bunch of different jacks. The only one I could use was the USB, which, when plugged in, installed, etc., and seemed to work great until I actually tried listening to something. This high-pitched whine would start, and sometimes continue indefinitely, or start and stop after clicking something like the system volume control.

I looked around online, and some people said something like that could be caused by electromagnetic interference or something, but I tried the headphones on a different computer (a desktop computer with separate monitor, etc.) and the exact same thing happened. After all the updates finished and the headset was activated, the whining noise would pop up whenever sound played.

*Note: None of my other USB headsets have had this high-pitched whining problem, so I think it's a problem with the headset itself.

ATM, my plan is to follow a suggestion in the Amazon reviews, and buy a 2.5mm/3.5mm adapter, so as to make use of the xbox 2.5mm jack that this headset has, as one reviewer said that fixed the problem.

My main two questions are:

1. Is there any possible way that all the headsets are like this, and this is just something wrong with the connection to my PC, or should I just assume this headset is faulty and return it?

2. If I use an adapter and plug in the headset with the 2.5mm jack, will I be able to use the headset's microphone, or would I have to find an alternative mic?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, if there's any more info that would help, please ask.

This is my first thread here, and I hope it wasn't too scrambled (it's 10 PM after a long day and my brain isn't quite orderly atm, heh.)

befirefly7

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015

I'm far from a computer expert, so bear with me;

I really like the headset aside from this one problem, so is there any way that I could circumvent the adapter or something? (I'm gonna check radioshack for a 2.5mm/3.5mm adapter to try that out in a few minutes.) Also, what exactly do you mean by "all the controls need to made from the computer only" in reference to the 3.5mm jack; the headset's microphone can be detached, so possibly plug that into the computer's mic jack or w/e for a microphone, and the 3.5mm jack for sound?

(It's important that I use a microphone along with the headset.)