Verizon Asks Court to Judge 3G Networks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
IMO I think they need to do like the M$ ads. get some normal mofo to use a handset from both carriers and then let them say in front the camera who is better.

let the consumer say who is the better 3g network. After all, it's us who use them all the time, right?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm running Sprint and get a 3G signal in our steel reinforced concrete box they call an office building. AT&T has repeaters for only AT&T phones in the building but I never get a dropped call and need to place the phone in my all metal desk to lose the data signal.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Even though Verizon and AT&T are separate companies, it kind of feels those Coke commercial where Coke is suing Coke Zero for copyright infringement. I know these are two entirely different situations, that's the first thing that popped into my head when i read this article.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I know AT&T and Verizon are neck on neck since they are the two major ones, but I think reliability (being able to connect) is a main factor. Yes I understand AT&T has .3 or so Mbit/s on their 3G speed, but it's nothing to cry about. I've seem to have better luck with Verizon all over the place vs AT&T plus the fact part of my family has them and drosp calls :p sigh.. companies will never get along. lol.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Ill take CDMA, thanks anyways. Digital phones suck always, but in regards to the question at hand, yes SPEED IS A FACTOR IN RELIABILITY. Either way, all the carriers can lick my choad, i went with Cricket and get EVERYTHING (internet, texting, pics texting, calling, long distance) for 50 bucks a month. Try to match that ATT or VERIZON. Oh and NO CONTRACT EITHER[/citation]
That is good. It's just like MetroPCS for southeast states.. The thing is.. I'm sure their coverage isn't so great. Not a lot of consumers/business users would be too satisfied lol. Thats why companies like cricket or metro isn't good at all. In fact, they are garbage no offense. If they had contracts to lock people into, that means more gross, and more cash into their system and so forth.. Companies like that are only good if you don't travel frequently and just happen to be in a great area to get signal.

G

Speed is irrelevant if you cannot remain connected long enough to notice it. A true test of reliability is that you consistently are able access the network, not how fast the network might be.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Cricket and Pocket are extremely niche... their service area is extremely limited and their MMS service only really works with other Cricket/Pocket users reliably. for a time, i couldn't even recieve MMS from cricket users but they seem to have resolved that. i'm a ATT user and they have the best service down here in the southern tip of Texas...

tektek2000

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Ads should say.. we have a 3G network.. thats considered the best of the worst.. please do not use other world 3G networks as the standard!

pcavv

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
i have a point on this... i developed an application for the sales persons laptops in mycompany using the pc cards to connect to the main office to update the application and send the orders to the warehouse in "real time"... at first i went with sprint... it lasted not even a month and switched to verizon because as i was always without signal enougth to connect to the office... verizon works almost fine depending a lot on the areas... the problem is that i was getting corrupted files a lot of times, and they block the access to our smtp server, you must use verizon one... lately i tried Att and i have nothing to say... no more dropped connections, i have the smtp port opened, and my files are not corrupted anymore... i can say the speed on att is more stable i mean i have faster speed with less bars in more places then with verizon... if you are not steady at one place verizon is very very hard to work... in my experience i like att better, i didnt change all the cards to att but i will as the contracts with verizon ends...
About the mentioned dropped calls on iphone, thats a know complain with iphones, and not an usual problem with att neither with verizon, verizon for me is the most reliable cell phone carrier for voice service not data... for data i prefer att, but att voice service is almost as good a verizon...
if you want a cell phone with data services i believe like it or not you have to go with att!

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I don't really care what the cell phone companies say. Verizon and At&t have the best coverage and both are pretty equal. Depending on location for some verizon is a better option for others at&t. People who want to claim that this company or that company sucks probably should just shut up and switch.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
AT&T's "3G" network is the worst ever. AT&T has been extremely slow in rolling out their "3G" network, where Verizon has done FAR better at implementing it. As an example, my girlfriend works for AT&T as a network analyst for AT&T's corporate customers, but we live in an area that AT&T refuses to roll out DSL. She has to work from home, so we have to use wireless broadband.

AT&T only has EDGE where we live, but Verizon has their EV-DO everywhere around us. We live just outside of the metro Atlanta area, but AT&T is too slow to push 3G access for all customers. AT&T is a horrible company and if everyone I know did not have AT&T, I would have dropped them years ago. I hate to bash the company my girlfriend works for, but...hell, even she knows they suck.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
While 3G is great... I still got a more reliable service with CDMA... sure it may not have had the super high bandwidth of multimedia capabilities, but it was reliable, never dropped out and had much better overall coverage. But as with any more to fully digital it has its initial ironing-out-the-kinks phase. 3G just ain't there yet.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Doesnt bother me either way.. Ive been using ATT's 3G service since they rolled it out here in South Florida and the only problem Ive ever run into with their service is I barely get a 3G signal in our data center at work. Thats not bad though, as people with other providers cant get ANY signal when in our data center, let alone get a 3G signal.[/citation]

You shouldn't even be using a cell phone (let alone having it on) in a data center.....

G

@michaelahess
Oh noes! Better not bring my cellphone into a datacenter, a virus might hack my phone, somehow connect to the server and destroy EVERYTHING! D:
P.S. he never mentioned cellphone, just that he had the 3G service which could mean he is using a pc card, which some places I've worked would rather you NOT connect to their internal network with a probable compromised device, so pc card is the only option.

I just purchased a iPhone 3GS. The download and upload speeds from the cell tower are: 124.9 KB/s and 41.9 KB/s respectively.
I know service totally depends on area and other conditions. Where I live AT&T has not let me down. My sister is currently in Kentucky though, and she has no signal.
Both companies should stop arguing and just destroy the other by improving their networks. They shouldn't have to prove how strong they are through litigation, but through real world experience.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
"Fastest" and "Most reliable" are two different things. "Fastest" mean you dont always have signal or something similar to that, But when you do it is FAST. "Most Reliable" just means you have signal every where, but just because you have awesome signal you can still have crap speeds. However, "BEST" would have to be a combination of the two.

In my experience Verizon does have a more reliable network than AT&T. I am often in some rural areas where it seems only Verizon covers. But on the flip side I have noticed that even though I have perfect signal, I can still get long load times of web pages, and sending times of e-mails/text messages. But I am sure everyone's experience is different depending on phone and location.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I get great coverage where I live, even in the stix where I live, even when I go camping to the local lakes, of all my friend that were there I was the only one with phone service and at&t, so at knight everyone had to rely on me for the game scores and incoming weather.

Reliability is subjective, Test need to be conducted accordingly, I bet the results will differ state by state. Just comparing the coverage area for both companies in Texas alone. Some people say their service might suck one place another my claim to have great coverage.

I've been with at&t for 6 years and have never had a problem with any of the phones or the services that I've had. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe their network is just better where I live. Personally in my opinion where people claim their at&t 3g service sucks is due to the amount of people transferring services to at&t for the iphone in an area that does not have great 3g support.

Just like any network (mobile or lan), the more people connected to it the less reliable and fast its going to be.

jtsx1

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
AFAIK, ATT has the only actual 3g GSM network and it seems Verizon is trying to use the name to attract more customers. Faster is better, but doesn't necessarily concern reliability. Now, "America's Best Network" would include fastest to most people, so that is a false claim on their part. I don't think Verizon is even due to start using GSM for another year or two, maybe then they'll be better. Oh yeah, ATT's wireless features are exensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.