Verizon May Owe Apple $14B Over Slow iPhone Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Verizon does have some leverage in this situation. They are a major retailer of the iPhone and Apple can't afford to lose the marketshare that Verizon brings to the table. Verizon should request major relief from Apple or threaten to stop selling the iPhone after the current contract ends. Apple would gain 14B in the short term and lose far more for making ridiculous requests of their partners.

Most people aren't going to jump from Verizon to AT&T simply because they want an iPhone. Many will, most won't.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Is this Moffet research from 'Craig Moffet'? The d-bag who said VZW was irresponsible in updating to 4GLTE while commending AT&T for sitting on their hands and doing essentially nothing with their netowork but extract profits? *THAT* Moffet research?

Yeah, how'd that prediction work out for you? I pay a f*** ton of cash to verizon to keep my two unlimited data plans, but the data service is without a doubt leaps and bounds above AT&T, T-Mobile, and especially Sprint. Good enough, that I'm willing to pay more for my phone service than I'm paying for my home FIOS cable & internet, which is also better than the competitors. I'm not a VZW fan, but I am a fan of good service.

VZW will not stop selling the iPhone, and Apple will not force VZW into a $14B payment, because both companies need each other. VZW is the best network to have an iPhone on, and regardless of innovation, iPhones still sell like crazy. It'd be stupid for VZW & Apple to throw that down the tubes for a lump of cash that Apple doesn't need.

Also, F*** Craig Moffet, he's *the* reason AT&T's cell data network sucks, and if you say it doesn't, you are dreaming or just jealous.

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I think Verizon should charge everyone that bought an Iphone for the shortfall. If they were stupid enough to buy into Apples hype, they should have to pay for the shortfall. I know you are asking why, what is the reasoning. The reason is stupidity. I found an Iphone 3gs in a house I moved into a few years ago. I know why it was there, I was using a mytouch 4g and it was far superior to the 3gs. I know the newer model iphones are better but so are the androids.

Status
Not open for further replies.