Verizon Releases Android Froyo for DROID Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The home screen can be very slow and unresponsive coming out of applications. I love the new phone/apps/web bar at the bottom and 5 home screens is a nice addition. I really like the new dock screens. I use the multimedia dock as an alarm clock on my night stand, but the previous dock screen was much to bright at night even in dim mode. The new dock screen is much dimmer and gets even dimmer since it goes into a roaming screen saver mode showing only the time and date after a few minutes in dim mode.

I'm not really noticing a speed bump at all. Also, I installed Flash 10.1 beta and it's garbage for videos. I was so excited to be able to watch Vimeo videos, but they are EXTREMELY choppy and slow. The audio finishes first and the video becomes twice as long as the audio. Total crap. Other flash based content works, but is slow. It resizes well, but is extremely slow while doing so and prone to oversizing as a result and accidental clicks.

Camera improvements are nice. No change to music player, video player, or picture gallery.

I like that I can accept Exchange calendar appointments now from my inbox, but I don't like that there is only one calendar app on there now that merges my Exchange and Gmail calendars. Not sure if there's a way to turn that off, but I haven't found it yet. It's not like it makes appoints look conflicted, I just liked being able to look at the month or week view of my Gmail calendar just to see if there were any dots coming up in my personal life. Now I see dots every day because of work. Still no task list though, so Touchdown might still be needed for most people.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]the update should be for all the android os cell phones out there[/citation]

Uh no, if you read the title of the article it says DROID users, aka moto droid not all android users. It is phone specific.

I am stoked to hear about the dock screen changes, also think it is far too bright in 2.1 and also excited for mobile hotspot and more home screens. WTF Verizon push me that froyo already!!!

zain_asad

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Shame that my droid incredible update seems to be shelved until december[/citation]
Rooting is a piece of cake nowadays. After root, just install a 2.2 ROM.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]Uh no, if you read the title of the article it says DROID users, aka moto droid not all android users. It is phone specific.I am stoked to hear about the dock screen changes, also think it is far too bright in 2.1 and also excited for mobile hotspot and more home screens. WTF Verizon push me that froyo already!!![/citation]

ok lg, and htc will get the update also, just not at the moment

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]the update should be for all the android os cell phones out there[/citation]
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ok lg, and htc will get the update also, just not at the moment[/citation]

lol, you obviously are trying to comment on something you clearly know nothing about. Trying to backtrack now doesn't make you look any less ignorant.

This article clearly is detailing the Motorola Droid's update to 2.2 from Verizon. You either can't read, or can't comprehend that these OTAs are phone specific. And then you try and cover your claim by saying, "Oh, LG and HTC will eventually..." yeah, no. First, you can't even name specific phones -- calling out manufacturers means nothing, as they make more than one Android phone. And furthermore, the HTC Dream / G1 will NOT be getting these updates, in addition to several other Android phones.

Sit down and learn kid, and let the adults talk.

G

My Moto Droid was updated on Aug 15th, 2010 Sunday evening, I was very excited to see it.

Then I quickly noticed that my Home and Search buttons ceased to function? That can't be right. I could feel the phone vibrate when touching the buttons but nothing would happen on the phone.

I then held the power button down to restart the phone and noticed that the menu was missing "Airplane mode and Silence", it only had "Power Off".

Now I'm mad.

I scoured the forums looking for "home and search" button problems and found that this is VERY common problem. Most people report:

- home and search button fails to work
- Power button menu only has "Power off"
- Phone locking no longer locks the phone

Called Verizon and ended up having to do a hard reset. Okay, annoying, but it fixed the problem. Now I want to enjoy 2.2...

Not.

The concept of the upgrade is fantastic and you can sort of see it in the way the home screens slide (more like an iPhone), Camera has easier to get to buttons. This phone is going to be more user friendly.

It may be more user friendly in concept but it's BUGGY. Very Buggy.

Mail:

Exchange - I use this for work, no problems on 2.2. It functions just like it did before. I don't know why they say there was no exchange support before in 2.1, it worked fine for me other than the fact that you can't move mail to folders, you still can't snooze appointments. To be fair setup seemed to be easier this time.

Gmail - no issues works like before

Hotmail - FAIL. Non-functional. They killed it. It won't connect anymore. I used this throw away email address for Craiglist and other things i don't want my regular email associated with, but it won't connect to the server anymore. It just says "Connection error" even though the connection tests are good for both Incoming and Outgoing and it downloads old mail, it will not download anything new. FAIL

Weather Channel app - no longer displays current temperature on Icon, it just say "The Weather Channel".

Adobe Flash - FAIL. It just says coming soon if you have 2.2, I thought you could manually download this? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Web Video - FAIL. Every site that i could play video from before is now VERY laggy, and choppy, can't even watch it.

Web Hotspot - FAIL, they say it's not supported. You can only USB tether.

Speed improvement? - perhaphs a slight improvement? I don't really see a 450% increase guys. It just isn't that much faster.

Overall:

You've lost functionality. There are some minor user interface improvements, but overall function of the phone has been reduced especially with video and email (hotmail).

Is there an easy way to 'downgrade' back to 2.1 on the Moto Droid?

G

My husband and I got our Droids on the same day. He just got his update (early morning of Aug 19) but I did not. Anybody know what the deal is?

G

got the froyo update and now my company email doesnt work..they could only recommend dowloading exchange touchdown free trial for 30 days until they fix the problem...but touchdown doesnt work either..can anyone help?!? I love the droid and verizon but I absolutely need company email to my phone!

G

Moto Droid. Upgraded to 2.2 when it prompted me to. Problems started a few hours later. Phone booted but hung or was extremely slow. Took it to 2 Verizon stores last week. Both told me there were very few problems with 2.2. The 1st store had no technician on staff. The second store said a flash of the software would work only if the phone didn't boot, and since my phone did boot (then hung), it wouldn't help.

I deleted a few apps, and it seemed better, but now the problems are back big time. Home and Search keys don't work. Power button menu has lost all options except Power Off.

Verizon sent me a replacement phone, but I don't know anything about its history (how many times has the previous owner dropped it?), so I don't want to use it.

Until last week, I loved my Droid. Now I'm frustrated and angry and phoneless. Verizon has been useless. Any suggestions?

G

I also have been experiencing issues after the upgrade. The text messaging started hanging when composing a message, then after about 10 seconds would return to the home screen. I disabled many of the spelling features and that seemed to allow the txt app to work again. Overall, it seems that there are numerous bugs and I am having to reboot my phone (Droid 2) at least 1x per day. Previously I could go many days or even weeks without having to reboot. Is a downgrade possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS