Verizon to Switch to Tiered Plans this Summer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hunter315[/nom]Thats okay, campus is covered in WiFi so it wont matter for me for a few years, but im going to be upset if $30 doesnt get you much data to work with.[/citation]

Too bad you are compelled to purchase a data plan with any smartphone. You don't even get the benefit of a lower price point like the old 150MB plan, Verizon eliminated that a couple of months ago, leaving the one unlimited" data plan.

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
http://www.verizonwireless.com/2200-mifi-mobile-hotspot.shtml

[citation][nom]Unperson[/nom]This may seem like a crazy prediction, but imagine a point in the not-too-distant future where we are all carrying a simple hotspot device for all our offsite comunication (for phones, pads, tablets, etc.). The only purpose of this device is to bridge to a service provider that offers only internet access at prices much more affordable than phone companies are offering now. The small device (about the size of a keychain fob) will be configured on a/your/their computer so that it has only one button and an indicator light. Once pressed.. ..instant hotspot for all your online devices.Hey, I can dream, right?[/citation]

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]actually...it's more money and less service...consumers are paying either paying same or higher due to "4G upgrade" but getting less service via bandwidth cap...[/citation]

actually..."less money for you" means the same things as "more money for them", so the original comment was correct.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
So stop giving Verizon your business if you don't like it. I'm pretty sure Sprint isn't doing the tiered plans (yet). Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned boycott? Oh that's right, people are to selfish and materialistic to do without something long enough to make their situation better in the long run.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]So stop giving Verizon your business if you don't like it. I'm pretty sure Sprint isn't doing the tiered plans (yet). Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned boycott? Oh that's right, people are to selfish and materialistic to do without something long enough to make their situation better in the long run.[/citation]

contracts...that is why you alreadys signed and likely do not want to pay to break the contract...which s a worse deal,... Money for nothing.

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Personally, I think this extends far beyond the telecom industry. Everywhere, you will see less product for more money. Next time your favorite food product changes packaging, note product weight for the new package vs the product weight for the old package.Even in ordinary business, this applies. Many businesses are always asking employees for more output with either the same or less pay. And need I mention Wisconsin?Sooner or later, less of whatever for more money is going to seriously break things in the economy in my opinion. I don't have any answers, but it is likely creating a wider gap between the haves and the have nots. Where will it stop? Will we end up paying per byte, or per atom? Will anyone anywhere be able to afford anything if the trend continues?Time will tell, but I think less of anything for more money is a symptom of a much greater problem.[/citation]

There are definitely solutions. Every successful company exists because of the economic and social systems set up by governments. Companies used publicly regulated education, roads, trains, planes, power, water, and laws enabling trade. Really, there is no such thing as a "self made" success that does not rely on public infrastructure.

Laws can be created that reward those who act in the public interest. For one example, every company uses marketing and distribution channels. Those could be restricted or enabled to the degree that a company provides benefits to society. All we need is a public decides what characteristics we should reward or punish.

Status
Not open for further replies.