Verizon's $250 In-Home Cell Phone Booster

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First, if you have no ability to get DSL, you can't get an extender. We finally got DSL where I live two years ago (about 6 months before we got garbage service!).

You do NOT Have to pay any monthly fee! We've had the extender since it first came out and have not had any monthly fee. It's a one time $250 fee. To me, it's worth it to make the phone usable. The problem is where I live the landlines are in the ground and have been for 30+ years. They are bad - so bad even on a bright good day, there's nothing but noise. If it rains or snows, you can't use a landline at all. Not to mention everything is long distance and we had to pay more than what we pay for 4 cell phones. So for us, this was a great thing.

My problem and what led me here, which is of no help, is like computers, is there a time when the darn thing needs to be replaced? Like I said, we had ours once they first came out - so that was roughly 2009. It's now 2013. Our worked great for years. Now, though, it needs restarted often and once you get it working again, instead of full strength signal (like it had been for years), it's not just a bar or two if you are lucky. Still makes it work for texts, but calls are being dropped if they are even picked up at all. I'm searching to see if these things have a expiration time period, which I'm thinking heavily that they do. I don't want to spend that kind of money IF that's not the case. And of course, Verizon says all is just peachy keen on their side and say I should get a new one. Of course they'd say that. I was looking for others on their experiences. Apparently I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and buy a new one and see if that fixes the issues we have. But this is a really great thing for those that are in poor/no signal areas - such as my family. As I said, I live so far away from everything, after this came out, we finally got a garbage service to come to our home - though we have to all have dumpsters because they only come out once a month. But at least that's better than what we had been doing. The point is this is a great device and like all electronics there are issues here and there. But in the end, it was so worth the cost of it and there is NO monthly charges.

G

Ive tried one of these as well as a repeater system. The repeater system was more expensive, but was much more robust in terms of coverage as well handing over from the tower. You can try www.4surecalls.com or any other site that sells the Sure Call product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.