Verizon's FiOS-Optimized 802.11N Router Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Woo Hoo! something to go nicely with that recently reduced speed 15/5.. formerly 25/25, 25/15 or 20/5 depeding upon when you signed up in the past 2 1/2 years..

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Verizon is great with their customer support as well. I had a problem where my download was fine at 15mb/s but my upload was a 50kb/s.

I even used the chat because it was after hours. No one was home. I think it was like 11pm. I some how got a hold of some one. They walked me thru and eventually found out it was my anti-virus capping the upload for whatever reason. It wasn't verizon it was my anti-virus.

So I like verizons support they're usually pretty good.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I have a linksys e3000 wireless n router, simultaneous dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz, with 4 10/100/1000 mb/s LAN ports. Works great with my 25/25 Verizon FiOS. I believe its 50 a month for the internet (We have DirectTV so I don't know what discounts there are for TV+Internet

Swampthing

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
CORRECTION TO ARTICLE: FiOS can provide speeds up to 100 MBPS, not 50 Mbps. I've been a FiOS customer for about nine months now, and personally enjoy the 50 Mbps.

CraigP3

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I spent 8 hours ordering a Cable Card from Verizon for my wifes TiVo HD. Im in IT I setup DSL, Cable and FIOS each and every day.
After 4 hours of being put on hold I went to the local Verizon store to protest the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD. They pointed me to the courtesy phone in the back corner. I then spent the second 4 hours on the phone getting it ordered, they said they had to send a Tech to install it. They charged me $90 for a tech who had never installed a cable card. I had to show him how to do it while they billed me for it. They put bogus charges on the billing hoping customers wont notice (Well documented Google it), they charged me 1 month in ADVANCE, I paid it with billpayer online using the account number they supplied, then they sent me to collections, I told them they "had my money" but they threatend me with service disconnect, I spent hours on the phone the collections dept refused to look for the transaction, I paid the bill again using a wire transfer only to recieve a check from Verizon 2 days later for "Overpayment on my account" for the most part (Besides the 100mbps router)the harware is good, the customer service is the worst EVER. Beware... Toms article says "Most Tom's Hardware readers however, will likely opt for their own preferred routers instead of using an ISP supplied device" The problem with this staement is this, you land up using the Verizon router AND also your own, setup can be daunting for newcomers unless you just want the "N" then you set your router with a static IP and plug it into the Verizon router as a PC would in ports 1 thru 4. I was also yelled at by a Verizon Tech when I went to ask if they could simply turn on the RJ45 jack on the ONT for me so I could use my DGL-4500 gaming router. I had many more BAD experiences with them. When I went to renew they sent a flyer with a list of channels I would get, when I called in to reorder I was told I would not get any of the channels I named from the flyer, and they would be removing others as well. I argued I had it in writing but was told there was no such flyer. That was the final straw that broke the Camel's back. From all this you might think Im a complainer, not so I rarely complain about anything.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I prefer Netgear, or a Dlink. A lot of Linksys and Belkin's and a few ISP modems don't forward ports correctly to a few video devices I use.

G

I have business fios 25/25. Works as advertised, speed tests all show that I'm getting my bandwidth. Instead of their actiontec (which they gave me for free after rebate), I initially ran a linksys WRT54GX2. It would stop working every other day, even the actiontec would die once a week. So, I broke down and got a dlink DIR-825 over a year ago. It has never gone offline. FIOS support was a pain in the butt, long hold times, and always had to go through a laundry list of "is this light on?" I think each call took about 2 hours. However, after changing out to the dlink, I haven't had to call them again.

Regardless, verizon's support is still better than comcast's.

paul_allen

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I have and pay for 35 up/down with FIOS. I DO get the speed ONLY when I am connected via Ethernet, directly to router for test purposes, however, the ActionTec wireless routes throttles it down to 20 up/down.

Verizon knows very well that 95% of users utilizes wireless routers, so this is a way to throttle down that bandwidth you pay for. They can get away with a technical excuse.

Either have a direct Ethernet connection and get what you pay for, or use ActionTec router and loose 1 third of the bandwidth you pay for.

SCAM !!!

G

Just got 30/30 from FIOS Tampa and put in an N wifi router too, of my own of course, slaving off the Verizon router. I have 3 machines on the wire and they rock. Actually the N wifi is quite good. I was surprised.

G

I'm considering signing up with FIOS. Until the N router is available, is it possible to attach my current Belkin N+ router to the ActionTec router supplied by Verizon, and run my wireless network with N speed? I am hesitant to sign up if I am forced to use the wireless G router.

Status
Not open for further replies.