VIDEO: Air Conditioning for Motorcyclists

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've been interested in a cheap bike because they're cheaper than a car.
However, one issue, I live in Canada. It can only be used 3-4 months a year here. =(
Would love to have a 100 horsepower vespa though, that'd be pimp.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I think it's a nice gimmick but it should be more discrete and integrated with the bike. If I want to be macho and ride without it, at least I can give it to my lady friend while she's clinging to my back...

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
This is the dumbest device on the planet, for a motorcyclist. However, as a retro-fitted device in a car where there wasn't AC before or too expensive to fix/replace a broken system, maybe. I ride year round in WA state. Being uncomfortable is a part of riding, but the fun and joy outweighs all that other stuff.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I ride a bicycle, does that make me a real biker? lolYour comment made me think about that movie "Wild Hogs" with Tim Allen and John Travolta. I am pretty sure a big part of that movie was that there is no "real biker" stamp. Anyone can call themselves a real biker if they want. They just have to have a passion for riding on two wheels.I bet you don't need a helmet either when you are doing your 120 plus. wow what a cool dude lol and such a REAL biker.Now about the A/C. I doubt it will make a big splash in the motorcycle market, but you never know. Maybe the old guys will want something like this just to keep them more comfortable when it's cold. I really have a hard time seeing anyone need this to cool them down though when they are riding a motorcycle...even at low speeds, there should be a pretty decent breeze lol[/citation]

you would think that even in slow speeds you would catch some wind. and your right, but not wind you want. i live in long beach, ca, not the hottest place on earth, but it gets into the triple digits during the summer, and when you are riding, you only go from hot air to 'hotter' pockets of air. if i werent afraid of getting my a$$ beat or laughed at to death, i would definitely consider this. and no i dont ride a bycyle, i ride a motorcycle :)

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]phussy[/citation]

Winters here in West TX, get COLD with the wind chill from prevailing winds. Add to that the windchill from riding a bike? I can see this as useful in certain climates where it gets cold, but without regular precipitation. Beyond that, its kinda stupid. I'd call someone a wuss if they were using it to cool down, but in January on the plains I'd call them smart.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
The idea is "cool" (no pun intended); however I see so many issues with this. Firstly, I think that the cooling option is about useless.
During summer and hot days you just dress less. A proper summer motorbike jacket will have enough airflow to keep you cool and protected. The real sweaty experience there is in the helmet!!!
The "warming" option is very interesting though, but the system's design is just plain useless!
My first concern about it is rain! That unit does not look water-proof at all and I bet that after a little rain it would stop working.
Also, any experienced motorcycle riders knows that the best way to protect yourself from the cold is to eliminate any air flow "inside" your clothes. That is why winter motorcycle clothes are usually very long, so that they can be "assembled" together, eliminating the circulating of cold air inside the clothes.
Well, and what about that HUGE pipe lifting the side of the jacket?
If I wear that under my winter jacket I will have so much freezing air getting inside it that the effect of the system will be totally useless!
Mind that I am not talking about a mild cold (10/15° C) but a real winter cold with temperatures close to and sub 0° C.
This looks interesting however, it just has a bad design. There are already better options to keep warm during winter, such as electrically heated gloves and jacket.
Just my opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.