Video card melted. need new laptop recs

plzhelp

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
1_What is your budget?: 700-1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14"-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want? whatever is best for the corresponding size screen

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? not much

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? yes; some currentish games (cod4, say on medium settings)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) web, a lot of music, movies/shows, maybe some engineering modelling/simulations

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? minimal is fine (150-250); i have an external for music/movies. i'd prefer 7200rpm drives.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible, say 3+ years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them. sound card doesn't matter as i would be using an external one i have already. i don't game much, but would like to have the option of doing so at reasonable settings if i wanted to. also, a replaceable video card would be nice since im getting a new laptop in the first place because of a melted on-board one.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. i don't know much about brands, but from what i've read asus is a good one. a decent warranty is preferred.

13_What country do you live in? united states

tia