Video Editing: Build new PC or upgrade current one?

Dylan6793

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I record 4K video for YouTube. My desktop takes 45 minutes to render a 7 minute 4K video with bitrate at 40MB/s. Is this a long time or is this normal? My computer is really old.

Desktop: Custom Built
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955 @3.2GHz
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz
Video card: GeForce 650 TI
Storage 2x1tb HDD RAID 0

Laptop: Samsung NP300E5C
Processor: Intel I5 3210M @2.5GHz
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1600MHz
Video: Onboard Intel HD 4000
Storage: 500Gb Samsung SSD

In desperate situations is it safe to render video on my laptop? I fear it could overheat.

Would it be worth spending around $200 on a video card for my desktop or is my processor so old that I won't see much improvement?

Dylan6793

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

What software would you recommend? I might buy it.
You think an SSD would less load on the CPU?

You don't think my CPU and GPU is that bad?

EDIT: I have been told by a friend that the video card series I have does not render video.

You will notice that we didn't even include a dual CPU configuration in our list of recommended CPUs. Frankly, Premiere Pro simply is not capable of taking advantage of the larger number of cores available in a dual CPU configuration. At best, they were slightly faster than the single CPU options, but mostly they performed either the same or slower. Some of that is likely due to Adobe's recent focus on GPU acceleration (which should yield much higher performance gains for the majority of users), but whatever the reason, dual CPUs simply don't make sense for the majority of users.

That quote is from HERE. It appears it does offer GPU acceleration.