Video editing on laptop, then rendering on desktop

alginonuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been into video editing for a long time (despite having a big gap in doing any).

I'm looking for some advice on getting a laptop/netbook, so I can edit video on the move. So I want it to be portable, not too expensive and hopefully half descent battery life.

I wasn't planning on rendering on the laptop, just editing the video. Then dumping that onto my desktop (I've got a Chillblast Stealth http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Stealth.html) and doing the rendering on that.

I'm using Corel Video studio at the moment, so would need a laptop/netbook with Windows 8 and ideally a touchscreen. The main video editing I am doing is GoPro footage, but in the future hope to get back into making short films.

Does this sound like a good idea? Have I missed anything technically, or do you think there is a better way to do it?

As I said my main goal is to have the ability to edit while I am travelling (not always possible for me to edit on my desktop). That the laptop is not too expensive (ideal budget, below £750. Didn't really want to spend £1300 on a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus). Portable (probably no larger than 13") and half descent battery life.

Some of the Laptops I was looking at

Samsung ATIV Book 9
ASUS Vivobook S400

Your main focus should be:
1) CPU processing, and
2) As much RAM as you can afford.
3) Sufficient drive space (no small, single SSD)
4) good customer reviews

One of the 14" Lenovo's with 6GB or 8GB might be your best bet but I don't have more time to help.