Video Game Hardware Summer Sales Slumping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]theendisnear[/nom]Dont count on Holiday spending this year, if you owe money on a credit card (any brand) and you havent got your notice yet, it will be coming soon, and you may be shocked at the present the issuer is going to give you. People with good standing accounts will now have a minimum 25.89% interest rate. People who have missed a payment date will have a penalty interest rate of up to 39.99%. This is on all money owed and new purchases. And be warned some banks are not going to send the notices until after Christmas.[/citation]

Source please?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
The economic downturn in has probably had a big influence, combined with what many see as the prohibitive costs of ownership. I consider most games over-priced and usually end up buying them 2nd-hand only after I've read the reviews. The complete opposite of the 80's, where the likes of the ZX Spectrum home computer used to sell like hot cakes, and the games weren't as expensive especially when they were released as sets or re-distributed on budget labels. I miss those days.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ZX Spectrum...damn that's ol' skool. :)

I also buy most of my games used after they've been out a few months. There are some exceptions though. For me it's a "movie theatre price vs. wait to rent the dvd" sorta deal.

G

Well, I'm through with this console crap, every 4 to 5 yrs. a new console comes out that pretty much does the same thing as the one before it, just better graphics and game play! What I'm interested in is virtual reality consoles, the one's where you put on a helmet or goggles and they immerse you into a 360 degree game environment and track you movements when you turn your head! I'm talking a complete first person perspective. I'm not buying another console, I want a totally different gaming experience!

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Can't say this surprises me. There's been a real drought of good games lately. Also can't say any of the main consoles of this gen are something I want to buy. If the console isn't jumping out at me and grabbing me by the shirt and yelling "BUY ME!" then I'm not interested. Lets face it none of these have done that anywhere near like the ps2 and xbox did.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
General consensus from the comments above sums it all up. Nothing worth buying a console has come out in the last few months, so there's no reason for new people to buy a system.

The $100 price cut will probably curb the slump a bit, if only temporarily.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
And for PC gamers the Limited installs are killing the sales.I refuse to buy something that is designed to stop working.I pay money for things to work and keep working.
Does anyone have a list of pc game makers who still use the limited installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.