VIDEO: Gameloft Rips WoW for iOS MMORPG

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]shakl[/nom]I like how their budget graphic exploding words only spell out "MMORPG" Finally! Knowing what that string of confusing letters means I'm gonna pick this game up and play it FOR ETERNITY!Just kidding, you fail, your game fails, and your advertising fails. You do not pass go you do not collect $200.[/citation]

They'll collect far more than $200, I assure you.

It is a ripoff of WoW. Not due to necessity, but because it's a sure win for some. Well played.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The people talking about "Instant Gratification" have obviously never actually played WoW..... I don't see where a 2+hr long raid is anywhere near "instant"...nor is the weeks or months of constant grinding anywhere near "instant".... Casual gamers achieve next to nothing in WoW. Hell, I'm a "casual gamer"....it took me 3 years to get to level 60....4 years to reach level 80. Where was the "instant gratification"??? The Icecrown Citadel raid can take upwards of 8hrs to complete.... Most FPS games can be completed in that time.... Unless you get gratification from every kill....there's nothing "instant" about any aspect of WoW....[/citation]

If it took you that long to get to level 60, then you were doing it wrong. Compared to some games, WoW is full of instant gratification. You talk about how it can take 8 hours to complete a raid? How about saving up money for 3 months just to buy that prize sword in Lineage II, a game where the initial grind from 1-75 really did take 2+ years, even for the FIRST TIME achievers? You didn't get gear as quest rewards, and really didn't even get XP as quest rewards. You had to actually grind for every bit of advancement you got. Also, you could get ganked in that game (full world PvP, anyone could kill anyone at any time) and drop your gear, get de-leveled, all sorts of nasty stuff.

2 hour raid? No big deal. 8 hour raid? No big deal. Try 6-8 hour castle sieges; that's 6-8 hours of nonstop PvP. Every time you die, you lose a little experience. Every time you die, there's a slight chance that you could drop an almost irreplaceable piece of gear. (Admittedly, L2 was too much ganking for my tastes, and even though I've heard that it's gotten easier, I stopped playing in 2004 and would never go back)

Stop thinking that WoW is hardcore. People in WoW had hit max level within 2 months after its release. Everyone gets gear through questing.. indeed you level up through questing. WoW is noobsauce, as are all the games that have copied it.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Everything is going to look like WoW, because everything looks like D&D. The only way it won't look like WoW, is if it's 2-D, or has improved graphics engine, or is set further back in time or is sci-fi looking.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]If it took you that long to get to level 60, then you were doing it wrong. Compared to some games, WoW is full of instant gratification. You talk about how it can take 8 hours to complete a raid? How about saving up money for 3 months just to buy that prize sword in Lineage II, a game where the initial grind from 1-75 really did take 2+ years, even for the FIRST TIME achievers? You didn't get gear as quest rewards, and really didn't even get XP as quest rewards. You had to actually grind for every bit of advancement you got. Also, you could get ganked in that game (full world PvP, anyone could kill anyone at any time) and drop your gear, get de-leveled, all sorts of nasty stuff.2 hour raid? No big deal. 8 hour raid? No big deal. Try 6-8 hour castle sieges; that's 6-8 hours of nonstop PvP. Every time you die, you lose a little experience. Every time you die, there's a slight chance that you could drop an almost irreplaceable piece of gear. (Admittedly, L2 was too much ganking for my tastes, and even though I've heard that it's gotten easier, I stopped playing in 2004 and would never go back)Stop thinking that WoW is hardcore. People in WoW had hit max level within 2 months after its release. Everyone gets gear through questing.. indeed you level up through questing. WoW is noobsauce, as are all the games that have copied it.[/citation]

3 months to buy a sword? Took me longer than that to buy a decent pair of pants....(15k gold..without buying the gold...) My Tier 10 Epic gear took more than 6 months to get.... In fact, starting saving for it in Dec 2009....finally got it all in September 2010. Some of us actually choose to enjoy the game in reasonable lengths of time (2-3hrs a day)....it's called "casual gaming".... Those that get to lvl80-85 in days or weeks, are hardcore gamers. I never managed to get the Tier 10.5 Epic gear, as it requires special drops that are rare on their own.... Currently, at a rate of 70 valor pts per dungeon, it'll take me roughly another 100 days (110days total) to get full lvl359 gear....before moving to Tier 11 gear....which will take another 50-60 days to get.... 8hrs for someone that typically players for 2-3hrs at a time, is rather long.

G

Tobe really fair and for people who know the works of world of warcraft you must realize that most of WoW was really stolen from warhammer... then blizzard put a rush order on it to release it before warhammer came out. Not saying anything I personally love WoW but to say that all these companies don't steal from each other is a joke. Even the mighty blizzard stole most there ideas for their pride a jewel. So in the end... who really cares.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]ALL fantasy books/games/movies are rippoffs of Lord of the Rings. ALL. Tolkien INVENTED the Orc/evil vs Elf/Human/good thing. Same thing does NOT apply to Star Wars, for example, as there are MANY sci-fi type books from the first half of the 20th Century.There will always be rip=offs of good ideas. live with it.[/citation]

Really? because im sure that kinda stuff was in Conan the barbarian and that came out like 20 years before LOTR lol

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I play wow, on the article i'd say its another generic mmo... pretty much like every other mmo out there, even wow borrows from other mmo's, it shard to do a mmo without it being compared to wow... then other people get into the various other mmo's eq or ultima and its the same debate... they all copy off eachother because when something is doen well why inovate when copy paste will work.

as for peopel saying wow doesn't have grinding... it does and it doesn't, i play as a casual raider, i can say i raid 2 nights a week but only for 3 hours. and i'm almost epic'd out., i play the auction house, quest ocationally for reps and pvping for fun now that i'm 85 and tank on tues and thurs nights, its fun, es i realize some may think saving for months on end is a game, if you enjoy that then hey thats your thing ... seems masocistic to me. if a game is to hard sure yoiu get alot of gratification when you get something... but the slumming and grinding is not something i enjoy. i anjoy the challenge of pvping, and learning new raid bosses show me a game where you lose xp when you die and can drop gear... bump that why would you play that

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Well, to be fair, almost all MMORPGs are rips from WoW. You really can't get around it anymore. It's like making a TV show and trying not to duplicate something the The Simpsons did during one of their episodes.[/citation]

EvE Online is nothing like WoW. Everquest II is very different from WoW. While not a true MMORPG, Hellgate:London at least tried something different.

G

I am always surprised at how much hate WOW gets. Mostly from people who take pride in grinding for years to get something virtual and useless.

The majority of people want to have fun playing and giving players penality for being ganked is not helping the cause for the big majority. If L2 was this great, it would still be really alive nowadays.

It seems Blizz were the first to see that truth.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]prodigygamer[/nom]I would expect nothing less than a statement like this from a WoW fanboi. So uneducated yet so common amung the instant gratification era of gamers (read younger Gen Y)...As others have said, apart from MUD's, UO came first and then EQ...WoW was just able to suck in and exploit the casual/instant gratification gamers but did not come "first" or "lead the way" in anything other than making money from these gamers.Nothing to be proud of in my books...just smart business from Blizard.[/citation]

Are you sure you aren't a flaming EQ fanboi? It's obvious that all other prior MMORPG games were not WoW, or else they would have 10 million players. I just think you are envious because the game you like didn't do as well as World of Warcraft.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Actually, you're all wrong. UO did not come first. Meridian 59 came first, 2 years before Ultima Online.[/citation]

YAY, Someone else remembers Meridian 59. Meridian never got the credit it deserved. I went from Meridian to EQ to Warhammer. In all honesty I tried WoW and it had a good structure. However, it looked too much like cheap and cheesy anime I like the original story line of Warhammer better.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Redraider89[/nom]Are you sure you aren't a flaming EQ fanboi? It's obvious that all other prior MMORPG games were not WoW, or else they would have 10 million players. I just think you are envious because the game you like didn't do as well as World of Warcraft.[/citation]

So what you are saying is that you are not playing WoW because you like the content. You are playing it because everyone else is??

G

Norse Mythology > Lord of the Rings Books > Dungeons & Dragons PnP > MUDS > UO > EQ > WOW

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The people talking about "Instant Gratification" have obviously never actually played WoW..... I don't see where a 2+hr long raid is anywhere near "instant"...nor is the weeks or months of constant grinding anywhere near "instant".... Casual gamers achieve next to nothing in WoW. Hell, I'm a "casual gamer"....it took me 3 years to get to level 60....4 years to reach level 80. Where was the "instant gratification"??? The Icecrown Citadel raid can take upwards of 8hrs to complete.... Most FPS games can be completed in that time.... Unless you get gratification from every kill....there's nothing "instant" about any aspect of WoW....[/citation]
You haven't a clue how much harder MMOs used to be. 8 hour raid? Try original (before the expansions) EQ Plane of Air, that was an entire weekend, let alone the nightmare that was gate in only Plane of Fear (that used to eat corpses regularly). The joys of trying to get 40 corpses out from underneath an angry dragon without your a-class gear (or any gear at all because your gear stayed on your corpse(s) ). Getting feared into the bear pits... And that's just the endgame.

The leveling game of EQ had all kinds of fear invoking situations (like lvl 15 aggressives wandering in the newbie zone). Or the Tox forest pretty much being dark all the time (the starting place for the erudites who couldn't see in the dark). Having to stare at your spellbook to regen mana and being totally blind to the outside world as a result (iirc that ended at 25). Good ol mummy rot lasting for an hour and shutting down your health regen. Or the fact that quite a few green con mobs (i.e. 3-5 levels below yours) could, and did, frequently kill you. Hell levels (34, 39, 44, 49)... getting deleveled back into hell levels...

I'm sorry but no MMO, with the possible exception of EVE, is difficult anymore (and I'm not so convinced EVE is hard so much as time consuming). I've tried pretty much every one that's come out since EQ1 and none of them (including EQ2) have ever grabbed me as much as the original EQ did. To be fair, EQ in its current form doesn't grab me anymore either, ever since the changes to make it more WoW-like and less brutal (Luclin onwards), EQ has since lost it's appeal to me as well.

In summary, I'm F'n sick of WoW clones. We already have WoW, and it's the best at appealing to the WoW market/players. What I want is a new EQ-like MMO that has all the brutality that I remember. I don't want a soloing friendly, hold your hand all the way style MMO.

G

it is not about who got ripped really... WoW is a more commonly known name in the genre of MMORPG so it is easier to reference WoW to speak about the main argument of this article - GameLoft's games seems to be copycats of some other well-known games created by another company in other platforms.

Personally, I dislike GameLoft's lack of creativity to pioneer new gaming ideas; but I applaud them for filling in a growing gaming market. Who knows, maybe bigger gaming developers are watching what works and fails from GameLoft's games so they can actually port their own popular titles into the new touch-based mobile gaming platforms without people nag about poor design of touch control, etc...

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
.... at first i was gonna say "any fantasy based mmo is a rip from wow" mostly in terms of elves, orcs, and game mechanics..

But this looks like they ripped the nightelf models and orc models right from wow, they even have undead........ why on earth would any game other than "wow" have undead?

The visuals are great for mobile gaming and the ui looks grood (wouldn't mind having it on my WOW :) but the models, zones, characters, themes,, and wouldn't be surprised, lore, would be a complete rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.