VIDEO: Google Reveals Google+ Social Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]The big question is....Whats this offer that facebook doesn't. If nothing then it will fail.[/citation]
Their hangouts and much better privacy settings is what imo puts it above facebook. I'm very excited about this since competition is what Facebook needs :)

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I like the Circles option because some of the stuff that is broadcast in my FB feed does not need to be seen by everyone in my lists list. Looks interesting.

offerings12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]It needs a killer app like fb's farmville. They should hire Popcap games to make something for them![/citation]

its called Android Market..

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]It needs a killer app like fb's farmville. They should hire Popcap games to make something for them![/citation]
isn't popcap about to be acquired by EA....

coolgod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Problem with this is suppose friend A is in circle 1 and friend B is in circle 2.
friend A and friend B know each other well. When friend b discovers that friend A knows more or is closer to you. This could cause problems.

hrethgir

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
[citation][nom]coolgod[/nom]Problem with this is suppose friend A is in circle 1 and friend B is in circle 2.friend A and friend B know each other well. When friend b discovers that friend A knows more or is closer to you. This could cause problems.[/citation]

How is this different than in RL?

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
@TH Can u please make a review at some point for the social networking sites regarding privacy and security?

I want to know for example if Google plus will own my photos, use face recognition technology and use my account for advertising products and services to other users. Or will it store my personal messages and chats...

G

To be honest, I don't understand the whole privacy concern surrounding Facebook.

If you have sensitive data, don't put that sensitive data online anywhere. It's a concept that's not exactly rocket science to grasp. I've used that concept on MySpace/Facebook for the last 10 years (or whenever MySpace started) and, perhaps unsurprisingly, I've never had any issue with privacy.

G

More to the topic in question, this will fail as spectacularly as Google Buzz failed.

A brand needs to have enough 'cool' factor to pull this kind of stuff off. Google, like Microsoft, have about as much cool as a closet full of denim jackets. 'Hangouts'? Do me a favour! Sounds like a word my grandpa would try using to sound down with the kids. Arguably, Apple have the brand factor to make something like this work, but they're having their own problems even making 'Ping' fly.

Stick to what you're good at, Google.

coolgod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]hrethgir[/nom]How is this different than in RL?[/citation]
Well in real life you could "forget" to tell someone everything etc....
But in virtual space, you don't really have that option.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like the only social networking site that I'd be willing to try. Don't care about pointless games like farmville, don't have enough time to "play" on the computer anyway.

Getting things organized on a single place and keeping information away from certain people is a great idea (think: your parents are split up and can't stand each other, and you'd like to post pics of your kids with one parent in them without the other parent seeing them).

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah, if privacy is better than FB, I might use this. Not a big social networker anyway, but there are some people I'd like to stay in touch with. FB is full of viruses anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.