VIDEO: Parts of Avengers Movie Shot with iPhone 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Yeah going to have to agree. Tom's needs to give the Apple talk a rest, and this is coming from an everyday Mac user.Never mind that fact that a lot of the movies released today are edited on Final Cut Pro, on a Mac Pro.[/citation]

'REAL' content and movies are almost always edited with Media Composer by Avid. The apple stuff just isn't there for anything more complicated than cruddy 1/2 hour sitcoms and low budget drek.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]'REAL' content and movies are almost always edited with Media Composer by Avid. The apple stuff just isn't there for anything more complicated than cruddy 1/2 hour sitcoms and low budget drek.[/citation]

Or at least thats what Avid keeps telling people. A lot of indie features, TV shows and music videos are edited in FCP. There are things that are also 'edited on Avid' where all the junior editors are working in FCP. Avid hasn't had the stranglehold on film and TV production that they used to for several years, one of the reasons why Avid's Xpress product disappeared and Media Composer;s features came down to 'mere mortal' prices.

Of course, a lot of things are still cut on Smoke and Inferno as well....

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Lol, jeez. the iPhone wasn't used because of budget contraints, it was used for cinematography reasons. (hint: the interview is with the cinematographer!) Think the Hurt Locker and Battlefield LA. That shaky camera is now a desired Hollywood effect.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I agree with many on the technical/budget reasons but in my opinion the main point is to create a connection with the audience a current smartphone (the iPhone is one) could be used to shoot some scenes on a movie and the fantasy it will provoke on regular people. This is more engaging than the "special" effect per se.

Also the iPhone could be used because there is some small technical advantage or convenience on the software side (it could integrate well with FCP).

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, Seamus McGarvey was misquoted.

"I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel's The Avengers movie," he stated to THR. "Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true."

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Ok, Seamus McGarvey was misquoted."I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel's The Avengers movie," he stated to THR. "Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true."[/citation]

LOL, brought the iHaters out though, see how they instantly flamed the trailer quality?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]inthere[/nom]LOL, brought the iHaters out though, see how they instantly flamed the trailer quality?[/citation]

LOL

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Apple's iPhone is not worth the effort to even insure or get warranty for. Just check out Tom's Hardware article about the Square Trade cover & you'll soon agree with me. It's just as simple as not buying a single iPhone at all, buy HTC or that Samsung smartphone & you'll be right.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I bet the part shot on the iPhone is the campy bit where the Incredible Hulk sends an inappropriate self-shot video to Natasha via MMS in a moment of whiskey-induced "hulkness". Oddly enough it plays right into the plot...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
title should read movie director spent most of his budget on his iphone4 forced to shoot with low budget camera in his phone after fund exhausted from buying iphone and churns out worst ever film due to poor video quality.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-slr-mount/

Stock iPhone? Probably not.
They actually probably used 20 iPhones in a special mount and edited the footage together. Apple probably paid them to do it, and they are probably only using the footage in this trailer, not the actual movie.

If it does make it into final production, then I want to say "thanks apple"..... Thanks for giving me another reason to hate you.. Not only making computers and phones a pain to use, but now also lowering visual qaulity on movies to....thanks

G

Update – As it turns out, Seamus McGarvey was misquoted and he did not actually use the iPhone 4S to shoot some scenes of The Avengers movie. He was simply talking about the range of new equipment that we have access to nowadays. Here’s his quote given to The Hollywood Reporter:

“I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel’s The Avengers movie,” he stated to THR. “Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true.”

From - http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/the-avengers-movie-features-shots-from-the-iphone-4s/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS