VIDEO: Samsung Teases 'Something Big' for Next Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Far Reach[/nom]Siri is probably developed using Google's voice recognition database anyway. It really isn't all that much more than what already exists, they just added the talking back to you and some minor prediction software.Android will copy Apple? Honestly? iOS5 jacks all of its new features from other OS's that already do it better anyway. Notification bar? iMessenger? Google and Blackberry called, they want their features from years ago back.[/citation]

You may be oblivious to what Siri is now (and you read this tech site why?) but don't forget to remain in denial once you learn you are wrong.

Notification bar, messenger, yea some ground breaking tech there like that other yokel replying with push notification. Yep, those are techs right up there equal to Apple establishing the form factor and gestures and app store ecosystem that all phones now. Oh I forger droidheads also invented changing your screen background or something. Don't forget to hall-of-fame that one.

sirius100

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
@tmshdw It's clear from reading some of your comments that anything you say doesn't have a pinch of objectivity. Your notion that Apple doesn't copy from other companies is hilarious, as is the fact you latch on to that imaginary fact as a weapon for a few of your comments. Wouldn't be surprised if you're Mr. Gruener, trolling the comment sections. :/

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]sirius100[/nom]@tmshdw It's clear from reading some of your comments that anything you say doesn't have a pinch of objectivity. Your notion that Apple doesn't copy from other companies is hilarious, as is the fact you latch on to that imaginary fact as a weapon for a few of your comments. Wouldn't be surprised if you're Mr. Gruener, trolling the comment sections.[/citation]

Not once was it said by me that Apple doesn't copy or implied it. You suggest its a notion on my part and then use it to build a conclusion on what I am saying. Hmmm.... I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. This is something that escapes the driod crowd. And no I am not anti-droid. I am, however, anti-idiot.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]you must be an apple fanboi if you think SIRI is a game changer. the nexus S has practically the same thing but the phone doesn't talk back yo you[/citation]

Omg not this again.....

What I own ....
Mobile Phone - HTC desire
Computer - W7 Desktop
MP3 Player - Sony Walkman X
Do not own a tablet

Just because I praise Apple for its good things doesn't mean I'm a "fanboi".

I'm just more intelligent than you to know what is good and what is not.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I remember seeing a concept from Samsung about a curved smartphone, but this looks more like a tablet (feet at the bottom, the buttons are different from your typical phone buttons).

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I remember seeing a concept from Samsung about a curved smartphone, but this looks more like a tablet (feet at the bottom, the buttons are different from your typical phone buttons).[/citation]
Agreed. Was wondering when someone was gonna comment on that. - and it does say something 'big'. Weren't Samsing also releasing some giant 5-ish inch phone/tablet thing?

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]Possibly. But you are free to put any ROM on it you want...like I did on my Captivate, its currently running 2.3.5. So it's up to the user if he/she is at least average in technology understanding.I was rather disappointed that Nexus S had no sd card slot and odd issues with 720p recording when it was released. Other than that it was a copy/paste from original american galaxy s.[/citation]
Agreed.

However, keep in mind that both you and I are technology-haves (that's why we read news from Toms :D).

For the rest of the crowd (like my girl-friend), only things they know is bloatware, touchWAIT etc. I'm from a group of ethnics, that has a niche writing system -- no software company MS, GG or Apple would develop a good one for us. We need to hack our writing system (font + input methods etc) into every device we use.

So stock android rules for us. :D

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]You must be a denuce if you don't realize what Siri is. Try reading what the press is reporting with your mind OPEN. This nexus thingie has practically the same thing? Clueless. Andriod will copy it eventually like everything else from Apple.[/citation]
As far as I know, this year, Apple has copied the notification system of Android and cross network messenger of Black Berry and put'em in iPhone 4S.

and by the way, the Nexus S commercial (one year ago) starts with the guy speak, "Listen to Hello Hello" in a deeply accented voice and Nexus S plays that song. Siri may do better than Android one year ago, I agree.

I was dictating my word document what I wanted to type back in early 2000s. I voice-operated my web browser (Opera) in early 2000s too.

So ... Android copied from MS Office and Opera while Apple's Siri is innovation. Brilliant :D

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Who cares if some geeks label Siri 'innovative' or just 'better than all previous versions of voice recognition'.

It amounts to a unique and better product anyway, and Apple have been innovative in plenty of other ways. Why argue about it?

As for Apple copying the 'notification system' and 'cross network messenger' - so what? Would you not want a company to take the best ideas they find in other products and integrate them? Android phones and the app store behind them is a far more major and blatant copy.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Who cares if some geeks label Siri 'innovative' or just 'better than all previous versions of voice recognition'.It amounts to a unique and better product anyway, and Apple have been innovative in plenty of other ways. Why argue about it? As for Apple copying the 'notification system' and 'cross network messenger' - so what? Would you not want a company to take the best ideas they find in other products and integrate them? Android phones and the app store behind them is a far more major and blatant copy.[/citation]
Yes, Google does not mind Apple taking the notification bar (even though there may be many other ways to do that differently).

Blackberry also does not mind its peer fruit taking its messenger concept.

However, when talking about the number of icons in a row (4 is the best for 3" - 6" devices) and the shape of the icons (rectangular icons are best trade-off compared to circular ones and hexagonal ones), Apple minds.

OMB.

Status
Not open for further replies.