VIDEOS: PlayStation 4 Revealed?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rockstone1[/nom]If we could get PC developers to develop like they used to- Consoles would either upgrade or be grinded to pieces of dust.[/citation]

I think that's mildly unfair assessment. There are no real comparisons between development cycles today which can easily reach into the hundreds of millions of dollars and development even ten years ago.

The truth of the matter is we're reaching a point of diminishing returns in hardware. There were major advantages when going from 8bit to 16bit. Going from 16 to 32 was an upgrade, but even then you could see that it wasn't as much. Today we have systems that are approaching photo realism. While there no doubt could be increases in power, the question is by how much?

How much is Sony or Microsoft supposed to lose in order to gain a 30 percent increase over current systems that are just now starting to reach the black. How much for a 15 percent increase, or 10 percent?

I think this is why we're really seeing these two approach new technologies from a different angle. Forget changing the core system, instead enhance it with add-ons.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Not PS4, 3D PS3. And the 10 year thing has nothing to do with the release of PS4, it just means the console will be supported for 10 years, just like the PS2 before it, and the PSX before that. The 10 years will definitely overlap with the release of the successor just like it always has.

insanernator

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]PTR[/nom]I thought they said that the PS3 will be around for a decade or so? lol. Imo, this is too soon[/citation]

The PS2 made 10 years with PS3 being around for ~4 of them. Even if there is a coming PS4 announcement, they probably wouldn't be launching the console for several years.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I think if they really want to be a success with 3D both Sony and Microsoft need to come out with their next gen consoles sooner than previously planned. Each console is already hard pressed to push full 1080p games. The hardware may still be underutilized but a hardware upgrade would help overcome existing obstacles more quickly than waiting on software to be optimized.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
The first one was... weird. They should call it the Playstation Quad. PS4 sounds... well.. boring. and weird.

And as for the second video, who the hell is, Juanmanuelijo? He apparently claimed copyright and now the video is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS