Vintage Receivers: Naks

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I am considering grabbing one of these two units sooner than later but I have questions on what is a good price.

Nakamichi SR-3A
Nakamichi TA-3A

These are STASIS units btw.

what would you say is a good price for a used unit that is working, with remote... without remote.

Which unit between the two would you prefer? (Yes, I know they may need a sooner than later cap job.)

What are the subtle differences between say 3, 3A, and 3E? (I admit, I don't see "3" or "3E" being sold.)

know something better that can handle multiple line level inputs, a cassette deck, and has a good, if not exceptional tuner and turntable input? (TBH I can muster up about $200 USD for said unit.)

I'd also consider the SR4A or TA4A, but in my price range they are far and few between for functional units.

I'm looking for quality on a budget. I don't want commodity/disposable equipment that has a good to excellent audio-enthusiast to audiophile sound.

Solution
I have never owned either unit, but i have come across them as other people seem to like them. What i have read suggest that the TA amps sound 'bigger' and can handle higher power delivery. SO if you are driving large woofers in a large room that may be a reason to consider the TA.

The SR series seems to be an 'original' unit as the moved manufacturing out of Japan during the TA series. people say the tonal balance is better on the SR and that the overall build quality is better.

In my opinion i think people claiming the tonal balance is better is the fact that the SR has less available power, and has a more 'vintage' sound with shallower peaks in mid-bass band due to the power deficit. The difference in total power handling should...

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I have never owned either unit, but i have come across them as other people seem to like them. What i have read suggest that the TA amps sound 'bigger' and can handle higher power delivery. SO if you are driving large woofers in a large room that may be a reason to consider the TA.

The SR series seems to be an 'original' unit as the moved manufacturing out of Japan during the TA series. people say the tonal balance is better on the SR and that the overall build quality is better.

In my opinion i think people claiming the tonal balance is better is the fact that the SR has less available power, and has a more 'vintage' sound with shallower peaks in mid-bass band due to the power deficit. The difference in total power handling should not come into play however unless you are trying to push power into a passively crossed 3-way design in a large room (3-wya crossovers steal ALOT of power).

Because of the differences noted by most people about build quality, i would stick to the SR unit unless of course you need the available power.

And i couldn't be of much help on price. With vintage equipment the price is usually based on the condition and the reputation of the equipment. Just like certain year corvettes from the same decade can vary greatly in price.

Solution