Virus Allows Bootup but Causes Black Screen with Cursor After Signed In

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLlamaKing

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
First of all I am very new to working with PC's and I'm not experienced with this sort of thing at all so bear with me.
I use a system that I built a few months ago with a Windows 8.1 64-bit OS. Recently I downloaded a "client" for Counter-Strike. It ended up that I downloaded it from a fake site with a slightly different URL. Once I downloaded it, I knew something was wrong because nothing came up after the installation, and my whole system started to slow down. My apps all shut down. Then my screen filled with question marks and then my screen went blank. I restarted my system. I was able to sign in, but the screen was just black with a cursor. My steam account was hijacked and all my emails on my main email account were deleted. I already changed my email's password, and I am in the process in getting my steam account back. I have tried to get back onto my computer, but always the same thing happens. It boots up normally, but once I sign into my account for a split second I see my desktop and a command console. After that though, my screen goes black, and I can only see my cursor. I have no idea what to do. Should I nuke my computer? Please help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, it is time for a fresh install with legit (non-pirated) software. Not to make matters worse, but this is one of the main reasons to avoid pirated software. You never know what you might get and what it's linger effects could be.

TheLlamaKing

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

How do I clean install my computer when the OS isn't working at all. Should I burn it onto a flash drive and plug it in?

TheLlamaKing

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Is it possible that the virus may linger after the new instillation and/or infect the new flash drive when plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.