Visual 3D Design Tool... like Visual Thesaurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifematrix

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I am very much a visual-oriented person and I've come to realize that I could greatly benefit from a certain type of visualization aid to more easily conceptualize complex rules and relationships. I'm looking for a simple software or a web app with these functions

1) allow the input of small snippets of names and/or text
2) link these snippets together with freely adjustable lines
3) rotate the "tree" of visual data in 3D (preferably with a grid for reference)

Basically, I'm searching for something that is similar to Thinkmap's Visual Thesaurus, but which is made to input custom text and which can be viewed and manipulated in 3D.

Does such an app already exist? And if so, where can I find it?

lifematrix

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Apparently, either nobody who read this thread is familiar with anything like this or they did not want to bother to reply.

Anyway, I have since found a partial solution to what I'm looking for. I have since remembered that the category of software I was thinking about is called "flowchart" or "mind mapping" or "concept mapping". A very useful list of mind mapping and concept mapping software can be found on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mind_mapping_software

Surprisingly, quite a few of these are free and/or open source. But none of these are exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I think I will have to settle for one of these. (Right now I don't feel up to re-learn how to program software and then write my own program.)

The only one I found that allows a 3D representation of concepts or data is 3D Topicscape. Sadly, the 3D part is limited to 3D pyramid representations of the 2D data. It is considered a "commercial" product, but there is a "Lite" edition that is free for personal use.

FreeMind is one of the most popular and which I've read a recommendation for in the past. But I think I might try VUE first because, from the screenshots, it appears like it has a few more features that I would find useful.

pelicanmedia

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I've been searching for an app like this as well. It seems like a visual tool that would provide a 3D visual map of spreadsheets or databases would be so valuable. Visual learners flock to visualthesaurus.com for a reason.
Perplexing why no one has really developed an application to create custom 3D visual maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.