Visual Studio business licence question

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I have a new company and I need some copies of Visual Studio. For myself, I have Visual Studio Pro and displays "Licenced to ME". The Pro version is on a per-user and this is fine - can only use myself and only have 1 copy running at a time. It took me a lot of reading to get that much.

But for the office PCs, how do I get a license on a per-computer basis? What if a programmer leaves and someone else needs to use Visual Studio? Can I get the Professional version licenced to a company? Can I also install it on another PC if one breaks?
I don't need Ultimate MSDN since there are not enough users and I don't need the capability anyway.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

EDIT:
It may just be easier to just buy 3 more licences in my name, then use those for business PCs.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the post!
So I can just get 3 VS-Pros with MSDN licenced to my Company A. Then Company A can put any copy of VS on any of the 3 PCs. If an employee leaves, the new employee can use a license. If a computer dies, then I just install VS on the new PC.
Correct ??
I won't care of the MSDN lapses.

Ijack

Distinguished
I believe that is incorrect. The right to run the software belongs to the user. So you need one for each individual. Also note that perpetual rights do not apply in all situations.

Your best bet is to talk to an authorized Microsoft reseller to determine exactly what licence you require for your particular situation. It can be a very complicated subject.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Ok thanks. I'll do that and wasn't very serious about actually finding a lawyer. I just don't know of any authorized resellers - just bought mine online at the Microsoft site. Most all computer stores only sell games, Office, virus scanners, etc.
I'll search for some.