Vitamin Water Offers USB Charging at Bus Stops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]I know I am safe because my phone's data and power is separate. But I can see potential security issue with phones with combined data and power. Can someone confirm that these ports are power only (i.e. only pin 1 and 4 is wired)? It will make it almost impossible to hack because that means the hacker will have to physically add hardware to the port and I don't see how they can do that to a bus stop with everyone around.[/citation]

Wireless i think would be the only issue at times, but still of it, the powering of a usb just for power might be more useful then not. But still of it though is the idea of "power" source. Cheaper devices probably might have an issue to say. And of anything, the idea of wireless might offer few ideas, but wireless is speculative. Any devices not connect would still be in issue. But still.

As for the adding hardware would be anyones guess. False panels or maintence. Or ideas the center is broke, you can charge here instead.

Idk, all i could think of. Wireless doesnt seem to be the idea of use here, so with issues within ideas of it to say, probably not as placed for it.

Failure is only as placed as it is "recognized" , why that is is anyones guess to say.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Someone needs to make a secure usb cable. One that not only blocks initial transfer of any data but also a surge protector. The cable should have a hard switch on it to block data transfers.

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
wouldn't it be possible to just remove the two data connectors and only keep the +5V and the ground? gonna need to test that sometime...

[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Someone needs to make a secure usb cable. One that not only blocks initial transfer of any data but also a surge protector. The cable should have a hard switch on it to block data transfers.[/citation]

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
It won't work, the kids will soon break the USB conector by pluging in the conector the wrong way around, just as they do on the laptops I get for repair.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
It sounds good but I wonder how long the USB ports will actually last.

How long do people wait for a bus? Will it be long enough to charge a device?

[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Someone needs to make a secure usb cable. One that not only blocks initial transfer of any data but also a surge protector. The cable should have a hard switch on it to block data transfers.[/citation]
Done. I once bought a cheap "charging cable" and it only had the power conductors; the data pins were not connected end-to-end. Put some nail polish over the data pins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB.svg

[citation][nom]sdfgsfgsyu[/nom]Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new season approaching, click in. Let’s facelift bar![/citation]
Ehh? Can anyone tell me what language and phrase "Let's facelift bar!" could be a mistranslation from?

Status
Not open for further replies.